Hi newbie

chardan1

gac2.jpg
[/URL][/php]
Hi
My name is Charlotte and Im from Boston Lincolnshire in the UK. Me and my husband Dan rescued this Horsefield tortoise 2 weeks ago from a local family who had him in a vivarium wirh another male and unfortunately "Tommy" was getting a rough deal. We are both new to being tortoise parents but thanks to you guys on here we feel we have learnt a lot and hopefully doing a good job! I have put up a picture of Tommy and also a picture of the home made table that myself and Dan made only yesterday with all inspiration taken fron others on this site! Please feel free to add any comments good or bad! So far so good with Tommys opinion on his new home though as he is eating very well, pooping regular and very alert.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Charlotte, and welcome to the Forum!

You and Dan did a beautiful job on the tort table. I'm not real fond of the spiral-shaped UVB bulb that you're using, but mounting it horizontally, like you have, it may not give your tortoise any trouble. Pay attention to if it looks like his eyes are becoming irritated - excessive rubbing them on his front legs, keeping them closed, etc. If so, then get rid of that light and get another kind.

chardan1

Hi Yvonne
Thanks for the quick reply and yes I agree with you on the coil uv, so far we havent noticed any eye problems but will be changing to a tube style light as soon as possible. We are very proud of our new home and all it took was a second hand dining table upturned and Dans idea with the log roll edging. Coco coir is what we have put inside due to everyone on here saying its the best to use.

TortsNTurtles

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
North East
I like the table. That's one of the things I enjoy when on the forum all the creative ideas. Congrats on your new RT!

chardan1

Thanks everyone it means a lot to know we have done it right! Scary being new parents!