Hi. (not eating)

LIA05

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hi my 8 year old tortoise isn’t eating we have tried lots of things. I dont know what to do

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We'll need much more info in order to help-species? how being cared for? temperature of enclosure? diet? humidity? and anything else that would help us.

LIA05

England
We'll need much more info in order to help-species? how being cared for? temperature of enclosure? diet? humidity? and anything else that would help us.
So he is a 8 year old Russian tortiose, i have had him for just under 2 years. His diet consists of dandelion greens and flowers, a bit of kale, strawberry’s every now and again and other veggies like carrot, blueberry, banana. His cage is the right temperature which is 32 degrees Celsius. He gets regular baths is weeing fine. I didnt think he was meant to have a humid cage, if he is i will change that as soon as I can..

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Hi! And welcome to the forum!

You are feeding your tortoise a lot of items that are sugary, and not good for him. Strawberries, carrots, blueberries, and bananas should not be fed. Actually, no fruit should be fed.

He should be eating other greens, like mustard, bok choy, grape leaves (no grapes), mulberry leaves (no mulberries), endive, escarole, radicchio, weeds (that are not toxic to torts), all kinds of stuff.

He might not be eating because he is wanting to brumate (the correct word for hibernate re' tortoises.) Is he acting lazy and wanting to sleep more? That's another sign. If you want him to stay awake, keep him warm like you've been doing, and put some
bright daylight lights over him for 14 hours a day.

Here's a care sheet for Russians. It is written mostly for hatchlings, but also has care for adults. Compare what is recommended to the care you are providing. Probably some improvements could be made.

Here is also a very long list of foods for tortoises.

Compiled by Tom:
Good foods for tortoises are "chicories," types of lettuce that are likely to be on the far side of the more common floppy green heads of lettuce most people buy. Anything labeled as simply "chicory" is good, as are radiccio, frisee, escarole, and endive; you might even find something labeled as dandelions. You may find a bag of "Spring" or "Spicy" mix that is good, just check the label to be sure it has some of the chicories I just mentioned. The leaves (just the leaves) of turnips and radishes are also good, as are carrot tops. Collards, mustard greens, bok choy, and other dark, leafy greens are okay as well. If you have any kind of Mexican/hispanic market near you, they will sell cactus, labeled "nopales." Cactus is a great food to rotate in the diet, as it is high in calcium.

You don't need to feed all of these at one time, just make sure your tortoise is getting access to different types of food. As you get more experienced, you can find the better types of food listed on the care sheets.

Here are a whole bunch of non-grocery store suggestions.

Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Nasturtium
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:

There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:

"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes

Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html

Homegrown alfalfa

Mazuri Tortoise Chow

ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

Ones that you can buy in every store:
Arugula
Lambs lettuce
Chicory
Kale
Mustard greens
Organic kohlrabi leafs
Organic carrot leafs
Organic radish leafs
Dandelions
Radiccio

Their main diet should be broad leaf weeds, succulents and grasses. Store bought foods are okay, but not the best. Collards and dandelions are a good food, but neither should be used every day. Check out the plant ID section for lots of ideas on weeds to feed. You can get spineless opuntia cactus pads from most Mexican grocery stores, or grow them yourself. You can also easily grow grape leaves, african hibiscus, regular hibiscus (if it will survive in your area), and mulberry leaves. You can try red apple, ice plant, and jade plant too. Also look into Gazania, pansies, nasturtiums, carnations, geraniums and many others. At the grocery store, favor endive and escarole, but also use cilantro, carrot tops, mustard and turnip greens, bok choy, radiccio, swiss chard, watercress, parsley, all the lettuces, etc. Lots of variety is best. There are also tortoise "weed" seed mixes that you can grow. I like the "Testudo Mix" from Tortoisesupply.com.
Buckwheat; cactus; vetch; Mohave aster; creosote bush; desert four o’clock; tacoma stans; bladderpod; globe mallow; goldenhead; burro weed; so many things!

Blastoise

5 Year Member
Is the whole enclosure that warm? Mine often wont eat when its 32C outside and will bury themselves until its a bit cooler.