Hi there from Southern CT ...&questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
CT
DItzoid said:
thank you. I'm honestly not sure where canton is but I will look it up.
It might be quite a haul, I moved here from Fairfield County so i know it is about an hour away from that area.

DItzoid

5 Year Member
Thanks. I will find it. Also, I got some mineral oil today. Will try that. I like the top soil idea. I think Tommy will like it.

Cowboy_Ken said:
Have you seen the section under tortoise specie/Mediterranean tortoises/Russian tortoises here on the forum? If not find it and study it. Books are great, but often they contain old information. Here, you will find active, present keeper that can help you in the here now. For my russian tortoises, I use a 50/50 mix of peat moss and organic top soil. Top soil, not potting soil. For water, I use a clay planter saucer. I sink this into the substrate and its easy then for them to get in and out of and it's not to deep for the tortoise.

3 sulcata
7 russian
2 pancake
1 uro
1 syko dog
6 cats
1 Wonderful Wife

DItzoid

5 Year Member
OK So I read that the uvb light is only good for six months. I'm so upset. I had no idea. I think the one I have has been in use for several years. No wonder poor Tommy's shell is starting to chip all over again. So of course I changed it. I'm also changing his substrate today to top soil with peat moss mixed in. I noticed the daytime basking and low end temps are looking good. I couldn't afford to buy the point and shoot thermometers but the two gauges I have are giving good readings. Also, looks like the hjumidity is 40 percent at the cooler end and about 25 to 30 percent on the basking end. I put a slate tile for him to sit on and bask. Still trying to acquire a slate he can eat off of and trim his beak on. Still need to schedule a vet appointment to have his enormous beak trimmed. Got him a clay plant saucer to drink from but mostly as a backup because his water dish is fine. What else do you think I need to do for him? Any clue how long before the new uvb lamp will help his shell? I am also wiping him down with betadine solution after his soaks, which are about twice a week, sometimes 3 times a week and after that, some mineral oil, as suggested by emysemys. Any other ideas for me? I also started feeding him a better variety of greens, daily instead of every other day, plus the timpthy hay but I'm really skeptical about him eating that. I looked at pictures of him from his first year with me. He looks pretty much the same. I feel like he should have grown more. Hoping the better lamp, varying his diet more, and all that will help him to grow a little faster. I know he won't grow much, since he was full grown when I got him (about 5 inches, right?) Anyway, I'm open for any other suggestions . I feel like I am learning more on this site than years of vet visits and of course the various pet shops. Thanks!!

Status
Not open for further replies.