Hi there!

Kennedies

Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I am not only new to the world of forums, but also a first time reptile mommy :) my family and I have brought home a Russian Tortoise named Blast and so far so good, but my little guy seems to hide out quite a bit by burying himself in his substrate. From what I can tell he is coming out and bathing in his water during the day while we are all away at school and work so I'm hoping he will lighten up a little and get used to us being around soon. He does also appear to be eating so that's good. His basking area is about 90 degrees and his cool side around 80 degrees, but he hides out buried in his hideout a lot and I'm guessing it's more around 70 degrees in there. We have only had him home with us for 5 days now so is that normal for him to hideout a lot?

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum!

Blast looks like he might be full grown, but captive bred. It's common for them to be shy at first. Be thinking about an outdoor habitat for next year. They really do a whole lot better outside.

Kennedies

Southern Oregon
The person at the pet store wasn't able to tell me :/ I have been looking online, but with out handling him too much I'm not sure how to tell? I'm guessing it's a male because he tucks his tail to the side.

Kennedies

Southern Oregon
Welcome to the Forum!

Blast looks like he might be full grown, but captive bred. It's common for them to be shy at first. Be thinking about an outdoor habitat for next year. They really do a whole lot better outside.
Welcome to the Forum!

I would agree that he appears to be full grown. I definitely want to get him outdoors next summer when weather permits. I hope he gets used to us soon. I hate to see him timid :/

Jodie

5 Year Member
Spokane Valley WA
Welcome to the forum. It does take them a while to adjust and feel secure.

AnimalLady

Hello! Welcome! :)

Blast is a cutie! It takes them sometime to adjust. As long as he is eating, I wouldn't worry. I'm a new tort mom too, I've had my guy for about a month and he is still adjusting. Patience is an important part of our relationship

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Welcome.
Let me be the one to ask: What kind of lighting are you using? (photo)
There is a coil type of bulb that most pet stores sell that does damage to tortoises eyes and will often make them try to get away from the source.
This is such a common issue, I'd call it chronic.

Kennedies

Southern Oregon
Welcome.
Let me be the one to ask: What kind of lighting are you using? (photo)
There is a coil type of bulb that most pet stores sell that does damage to tortoises eyes and will often make them try to get away from the source.
This is such a common issue, I'd call it chronic.
His UVB bulb is a coil!

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I would remove it immediately.
You need to use an MVB (mercury vapour bulb), or a strip bulb.
These coil bulbs have been known to cause blindness and death in tortoises and those that don't often don't put out enough UVB anyway.

Kennedies

Southern Oregon
I would remove it immediately.
You need to use an MVB (mercury vapour bulb), or a strip bulb.
These coil bulbs have been known to cause blindness and death in tortoises and those that don't often don't put out enough UVB anyway.
I'll look into that for sure.