Hi there

JackHarper

Hi, I've just joined you lovely forum after finding it while trying to look up some stuff about my tortoise and was wondering if you nice peoploe could help me out?

I've been trying to find out what food I can give my tortoise to give him/her (I still don't know!) a more varied diet. As you no doubt know not the easiest subject with alot of varied info online. My first problem though is that I don't know what breed my tort is, so I was hoping if I posted some pictures someone on here could tell me and point me in the right direction. Any help would be most appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_0020.JPG
    IMG_0020.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0018.JPG
    IMG_0018.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 26

yillt

That looks like a marginated. It looks abit like a herman but soon your question will be confirmed. If you go to the marginated section there are loads of threads that will help you. I love marginated and have one called Billy. They are beautiful friendly creatures. Welcome to TFO. :);)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402747259.642472.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1402747259.642472.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 10

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:) I'm guessing here, but I would guess a hermanns or Greek. Someone that can give a better guess will be on soon I'm sure. A plastron shot will help though, a picture of its bottom shell.

JackHarper

Many thanks yillt & Wellington for your replies and the welcome. I think you're right having looked at the threads that you mentioned that I probably have a Hermanns. This tortoise was given to me thirty years ago and Im pretty sure it was an adult then. It was definately not a hatchling, so I have no idea how old it is!

What is the best way to go about getting a plastron shot? I don't want to stress her out ( I THINK it's a female), she doesn't like being handled at the best of times. Once again, thankyou to you both for your help :)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jack welcome to the TFO from AZ . Have a great tort day ! :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome. Flip over him/her for a quick shot of plastron shot will not stress him/her too much. I think is a Herrmann too. The plastron shot may further confirm that or change our opinion.

Welcome.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
When taking tortoise pictures I usually balance the tortoise on a non-tip cup or glass, this way they can't squirm around. So balance your tortoise on her back on a cup, snap the picture then release her. Easy, peasy and not really stressful.

Good on you for trying to find out more about your tortoise, however, I'm guessing you've done a pretty good job of caring for her for the past 30 years, since she looks great.

I'll give a shout out to @HermanniChris He's the best and you can take his answer to the bank.

Welcome to the Forum!!

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
You have one heck of a beautiful ibera Greek tortoise. Testudo graeca ibera. Excellent animal.

JackHarper

Thanks to everyone for your replies, advice and welcomes. I googled images for Testudo graeca ibera and some of the first ones looked just like my Tort, so it's great to finally have an answer. Thankyou HermanniChris.

Now that I know, I will have a search through your site for more info on my tort. Im sure any questions I have, have been asked a hundred times before.

Thanks once again, it's been great to hear from such clever and friendly people. All the best.