Hi tortoise Fans

Jodilee

Hi , I'm Jodie and have just aquired my first tortoise. She is approx 8 years old and is called Origami. She did belong to a friend of mine but I have taken her as I have always wanted a tortoise and seeing as my friend cannot take Origami back to the States with her I was the perfect adopter. I was told she is a four toed desert tortoise. Having done lots of googling I THINK she is a Hermans tortoise. I have LOTS of questions mainly based around her food, cleanliness, wheether or not she requires water to drink or bath in. I am looking forward to looking at other peoples animals too.

Anyone that can positively identify which type of tortoise she is would be much appreciated.2014-04-16 14.30.23.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
Hello and Welcome to the forum. Good to have you here.

This is a Russian tortoise I believe, Very nice looking one too. You said you adopted from a friend that can not take the torts back to state so where are you at?

We have many good read about how to take care of Russian tortoise, Please take a look.

Here is one:

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/

Good to have you here.

Jodilee

Hi, I am in the Netherlands, Europe. Thanks for the identification i shall definitely go and read all the stuff in the link. I am concerned because this tortoise has NEVER lived in a moist environment or had access to water. The breeder apparently said it wasn't necessary but everything I've read says it is. Origami is a little lets say dirty. Her skin looks like it could do with a wash. I have started putting her in a plant saucer with luke warm water but she just gets out.
I shall go and read.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Jodie welcome to the TFOfrom AZ , USA . Nice pict but we cannt see the enclosure . And a bath won't hurt it any ( in warm water )

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jodilee

Thanks Grandpa Turtle. I'll post a few pictures but the enclosure is pathetically small just 16 x 39 inches because its what she arrived in. She herselff is 8.5 inches from nose to tail ( not over the bump) Her house plain and has just sand and hay. No water, no plants, no ''toys''.

My plan is to let her out of it as much as possible even if its just inside the house when its cold. She can really move but fortunately our garden is impossible for her to escape from but she did try and bury herself in a border. However she cannot go out in the winter.

Gabriel our cat loves her and her warm house but as you can see its tiny.
The new house my husband is making will be much deeper so she can bury herself
2014-03-24 11.56.45.jpg 2014-04-16 14.02.12.jpg

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello and Welcome to TFO :) Origami is Adorable

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Please get rid of the sand garden soil is better then sand . But it's a nice looking enclose Evan if it's to small . By the way everybody forgets the most important thing for the tort is lots of love :)

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jodilee

Hi Shanu thanks she is adorable and Grandpa Turtle I do love her. I have loved her for a few years while she still belonged to my friend but now thats shes all mine I am ridiculously in love with this strange prehistoric animal. The sand will be shunted first thing tomorrow morning ( its 6.30pm here now and everywhere is shut)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jodie, and welcome to the Forum!

I had to chuckle at Gabriel inside the tort habitat. Very cute picture!

Evy

5 Year Member
San Diego, CA
First welcome and please read the info they sent you. This forum has helped me a lot I have a sulcata a bigger version of yours. There is a lot to learn. Enjoy

Blue (European hunt-mix dog)
Dolly (Yorkie dog)
Penny (Sulcata)

Jodilee

Hi Evy I will certainly be reading and re reading the info. I have today been and bought some coco coir and my husband is busy building the new indoor tortoise house. I have a LOT to learn here and I'd be devastated if I thought i was not doing my best for Origami.
Yvonne if you knew Gabriel you'd know this was bound to jappen. Hes a character and always in your face. He seems to quite like Origami although i don't yet think he has worked out what she is. I think he and my other cats think shes a mobile stone. :p

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Hi jodilee! I am not too far from you, just over the DE border in Kleve! I was a tortoise keeper in the states, message me any time. I love talking turtles!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi jodilee! I am not too far from you, just over the DE border in Kleve! I was a tortoise keeper in the states, message me any time. I love talking turtles!

Wait...you're now in Germany? It says on your profile you're in florida.

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
Wait...you're now in Germany? It says on your profile you're in florida.
Yes, I am from Florida but we are stationed here for a few yrs... we trek back & forth quite a lot. I still assist with turtle research in the states, & am part of the herp group here.