Hi, trying to learn as much as possible

Themessfits

Location (City and/or State)
nj
Hi,

I am new to the forum and starting to research more about owning a tortoise. I have made the decision to go with a Russian (although, it was close between a sulcata and Hermann's)

I just find the Russians really cute and a good choice for me. As, this isnt just my first tortoise but, my first reptile! I have had many animals from a horse to a mouse. I always wanted one growing up. but, was more into taming crazy hamsters.

I plan in the future and when, I have enough space to get a larger tort. They remind me of more docile horses and just so fascinating to learn about... I feel like a little kid back in a library trying to gain as much knowledge as possible (I would read the dictionary for fun so, this is a little better than that)

I have access to a garden for fresh veg&weeds. Starting my own garden just for him as well :) Going to build him an outdoor enclosure during the warmer months.

*note: Im slowly getting my supplies together and plan on not impulse adopting/buying from a breeder (its hard though :) ) If you have any breeder suggestions please let me know!

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Welcome! There's quite a few reputable breeders on this site. I can't recommend any one over another though. Ask lots of questions of whomever you you choose to purchase from. A lot of the breeders will be vetting you as well. Best of luck!

Themessfits

nj
Welcome! There's quite a few reputable breeders on this site. I can't recommend any one over another though. Ask lots of questions of whomever you you choose to purchase from. A lot of the breeders will be vetting you as well. Best of luck!
Thank you! I completely understand the vetting, they just want to make sure their animal is getting a good home :) I have a lot of time to figure out where im getting them from though. So, my focus is just learning

JLMDVM

Ohio
Thank you! I completely understand the vetting, they just want to make sure their animal is getting a good home :) I have a lot of time to figure out where im getting them from though. So, my focus is just learning
There are topics that you can read that will have reviews on vendors and breeders. Do a lot of looking and reading on here and you will likely find a great choice of a reputable breeder for a Russian.
Welcome!

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
Welcome to the forum! Russians are great! Sweet personalities and they stay small, so they are somewhat easier to keep. Be sure to read the Russian specific information under "Tortoise Species" at the top of the page. It will really help you with housing, food, temperature, humidity, etc.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Welcome! As others have said definitely go with a breeder and not a pet shop.

Themessfits

nj
Welcome to the forum! Russians are great! Sweet personalities and they stay small, so they are somewhat easier to keep. Be sure to read the Russian specific information under "Tortoise Species" at the top of the page. It will really help you with housing, food, temperature, humidity, etc.
I have read it and saved some of the information This forum is really helping me weed out any information that isn't correct

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi,

I am new to the forum and starting to research more about owning a tortoise. I have made the decision to go with a Russian (although, it was close between a sulcata and Hermann's)

I just find the Russians really cute and a good choice for me. As, this isnt just my first tortoise but, my first reptile! I have had many animals from a horse to a mouse. I always wanted one growing up. but, was more into taming crazy hamsters.

I plan in the future and when, I have enough space to get a larger tort. They remind me of more docile horses and just so fascinating to learn about... I feel like a little kid back in a library trying to gain as much knowledge as possible (I would read the dictionary for fun so, this is a little better than that)

I have access to a garden for fresh veg&weeds. Starting my own garden just for him as well :) Going to build him an outdoor enclosure during the warmer months.

*note: Im slowly getting my supplies together and plan on not impulse adopting/buying from a breeder (its hard though :) ) If you have any breeder suggestions please let me know!
Hi, and welcome!

Please read this before you buy anything:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Themessfits

nj
Hi, and welcome!

Please read this before you buy anything:

https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
Thank you!!!! I was trying to find this thread before:) This forum is a life saver and im lucky enough to have multiple exotic/avian vets in my area. So, that is one less thing for me to worry about. I know, they will answer any questions. Is there any questions to ask that would help me pick at least two vets. I want to make sure they are knowledgeable with tortoises as well!