Hi :)

Shirley L.

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles, CA
My boyfriend was doing some research out in New Mexico and saw a bunch of birds pecking on this little guy, which I think is a baby ornate box turtle. So, he decided to save it and bring it home with him so it doesn't get pecked to death there. Since he brought it home, I've been trying to take care of it and have been doing some research. Most of the photos I see of box turtles, the shell looks really smooth. However, I notice that the shell of this little guy has risen lines on his shell? Is this normal? I've attached two photos. In the second photo, he was trying to hide from me by pretending to be a rock, but you can see it's shell and the lines more clearly.

FullSizeRender-2.jpg FullSizeRender-3.jpg

Stuart S.

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Paris, Texas
Hi there and welcome! Do you have a dish with water that he can get in? He looks a little dry and I know he was probably like that when you found him but box turtles need lots of water. How's he eating? He's a cute little guy and looks great!

Rachael403

NE, USA
Hi and welcome! It is an ornate box turtle. I believe in CA they are native to your area, which means you cannot keep it as a pet due to it being protected. It should be released back into the area that it was found. Im sure another member that knows this for a fact will respond tonight or tomorrow morning. :)

If you decide that you want to get a captive- bred box turtle in the future, there is awesome people on this site that can help you with your setup and help you with where to find a box turtle.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
He's just too dry. He needs some humidity and soaking. Is he eating for you?

Check your laws.

Shirley L.

Los Angeles, CA
Yes, I have a water dish for him. He naturally goes in for soaks and has even fallen asleep soaking. So, I'm not sure if it really is because he is dry since he already sits in the water for hours.

He does eat, but not a lot. I think it might be stress of the new environment and seeing me, a giant. Surprisingly, he likes his veggies. However, I'm having trouble with him eating protein. I gave him some dried mealworms and boil eggs, but no interest. Live worms and stuff will be a bit difficult right now (I'm with my relatives for a week, and they don't want live critters), any other recommendations?

Also, I tried looking up the law for California, but couldn't find anything solid. Is there a website someone can link me with?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Baby box turtles dehydrate very quickly because they are so small. You need to keep the substrate very moist, that means you need to use something that doesn't turn sour from being all the time wet - orchid bark, coco coir, etc. The raised new growth lines just mean he's too dry.

Maitaimommy

Hello, love this thread! I couldn't find many references from California wildlife or humane society but I did research several sites and found one called
Nauti-lass Ponds $Critters.
Strange name to someone residing in the northeast as I do but hey hope this helps!

Shirley L.

Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the warm welcomes!

I've just poured a cup of water into the substrate, and will check on him in the morning.

I've went on the website, and was clicking around and saw that it said:
"The ornate box turtle is currently not endangered or threatened but is of concern and protected in six Midwestern states (Colorado, Iowa, Indiana, Nebraska, Kansas, and Wisconsin)."

Link: http://www.shop.nauti-lasscritters.com/Ornate-Box-Turtle-OBT.htm

Fingers crossed that this means that I can keep him as I'm getting attached to him.