Hi!

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
I just wanted to introduce myself and my 4-month-old redfoot I just got the other day. I have a feeling I'll be on this forum a lot, haha.
We're in central Missouri. He's housed indoors, but I'm sure we'll be spending a lot of time outside while it's warm out, if that's okay for him.
If anyone has any name ideas for the little guy, please feel free to suggest them!
He has a little dent in his shell, but he seems to be getting around just fine (although I'm obviously not an expert.)
If anyone has any suggestions for his enclosure, PLEASE let me know! I'm a long-time tortoise wanter, but brand-new owner.

20180717_163427.jpg 20180717_163417.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I just wanted to introduce myself and my 4-month-old redfoot I just got the other day. I have a feeling I'll be on this forum a lot, haha.
We're in central Missouri. He's housed indoors, but I'm sure we'll be spending a lot of time outside while it's warm out, if that's okay for him.
If anyone has any name ideas for the little guy, please feel free to suggest them!
He has a little dent in his shell, but he seems to be getting around just fine (although I'm obviously not an expert.)
If anyone has any suggestions for his enclosure, PLEASE let me know! I'm a long-time tortoise wanter, but brand-new owner.

Welcome and lovely tort....that is a good start to an indoor set up....I will let the others pile on their helpful enclosure information :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

I don't like to use those reptile dishes because the sides are straight up and down, and a tortoise with a hard, unbending shell can't safely navigate them. What works for me is a clay plant saucer sunk down into the substrate.

Also, remember - RF tortoises require a humid environment. Try to figure out a way to cover that plastic bin to keep the warm, moist air inside.

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
Hi and welcome!

I don't like to use those reptile dishes because the sides are straight up and down, and a tortoise with a hard, unbending shell can't safely navigate them. What works for me is a clay plant saucer sunk down into the substrate.

Also, remember - RF tortoises require a humid environment. Try to figure out a way to cover that plastic bin to keep the warm, moist air inside.

Thank you! I haven't checked on this forum in quite a while, but about a month ago I did end up switching to clay pot saucers.

I've been having humidity troubles so today I purchased this screen to put over the bin. This is such a stupid question, but does this look okay to hold the moisture in? Or should I find more of a screen door type lid?45365603_389766588228758_3289135965875994624_n.jpg45268854_2214285502230354_684294504794030080_n.jpg

drew54

Indiana
Thank you! I haven't checked on this forum in quite a while, but about a month ago I did end up switching to clay pot saucers.

I've been having humidity troubles so today I purchased this screen to put over the bin. This is such a stupid question, but does this look okay to hold the moisture in? Or should I find more of a screen door type lid?View attachment 256089View attachment 256090

Screen covers aren't going to hold heat or humidity in. You will want put a lid over it and cut out holes for the lights or put plastic shower curtain over it.

Melis

Maryland
Those types of screens also block out uv. The lid that came with the tub would do a better job maintaining humidity. And then like drew mentioned, cut holes for the lights. Make sure you line the holes with foil.

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
It's such an obvious answer, I was just confused because I see a lot of other keepers using screen lids. That makes sense, thank you!

drew54

Indiana
It's such an obvious answer, I was just confused because I see a lot of other keepers using screen lids. That makes sense, thank you!

IMG_0685.jpg
Cut the areas out to place mesh across the whole lid.
IMG_0686.jpg
Left the center so I could attach the uvb lamp on the inside.
IMG_0700.jpg
Cut holes out in the plastic panels I cut out and then taped tin foil on bottom. Placed the panels on the chicken wire attached with zip ties and duck tapped the edges to seal it. I put electric heat tape around the holes and threw a plastic curtain over it.

That should help give you ideas.

TuckerDucker

5 Year Member
Missouri
Thank you so much! This is perfect, I've already done all that for when I had a hamster in the tub (before the tortoise, haha) and put this modified lid on at night. Thank you for being so helpful!!

drew54

Indiana
Thank you so much! This is perfect, I've already done all that for when I had a hamster in the tub (before the tortoise, haha) and put this modified lid on at night. Thank you for being so helpful!!

Good to hear! Just follow the care sheets and continue to ask questions and your little dude should grow. keep posting updates and pics!