Hi!

Location (City and/or State)
Texas
I am a first timer tortoise owner and have a baby sulcata tortoise named Nugget, I love him/her (not sure of the gender yet) very much and joined this forum to give him/her the happiest and healthiest life I can provide!

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome this is a great site with all the info. you need. When you get a chance show us some pics of Nugget and the enclosure. I will bet to say. If you were like me I was given all the wrong equipment for Opo. It was this site that got me on the right track.
Good luck and ask questions. The more questions the better.

Lucy1233

England
Hi, we called our Horsefield Tortoise Nuggette, tried to get the female version of Nugget, she’s nearly 1 now

Last edited:
Texas
Welcome to the forum! We would love to see pictures :)

Be sure to give these a read-
How To Raise A Healthy Sulcata Or Leopard, Version 2.0 https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/How-To-Raise-A-Healthy-Sulcata-Or-Leopard,-Version-2.0.79895/

For Those Who Have a Young Sulcata... https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/For-Those-Who-Have-a-Young-Sulcata....76744/

Beginner Mistakes https://tortoiseforum.org/index.php?threads/Beginner-Mistakes.45180/
Thanks, I really appreciate this! :)

Texas
Welcome this is a great site with all the info. you need. When you get a chance show us some pics of Nugget and the enclosure. I will bet to say. If you were like me I was given all the wrong equipment for Opo. It was this site that got me on the right track.
Good luck and ask questions. The more questions the better.
sorry, the image is such low quality. I know that he is growing out of the terrarium and am going to get a bigger one soon. I am using loose coconut fiber and an infrared basking spotlight that is used for desert creatures, I keep his place nice and humid. You can see him trying to sleep in the light, but I bugged him so he woke up. XD. Hope this helps. (I didn't want to disturb him/her by taking him out cause I just cleaned out his/her terrarium and didn't want to stress him/her out anymore) :)

IMG_20190213_184218.jpg

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
sorry, the image is such low quality. I know that he is growing out of the terrarium and am going to get a bigger one soon. I am using loose coconut fiber and an infrared basking spotlight that is used for desert creatures, I keep his place nice and humid. You can see him trying to sleep in the light, but I bugged him so he woke up. XD. Hope this helps. (I didn't want to disturb him/her by taking him out cause I just cleaned out his/her terrarium and didn't want to stress him/her out anymore) :)
Hi I am not sure about infrared for basking but I am new at this also. Do you have UVB light? If not let us know so we can guide you on the proper light. If you notice Nugget pacing the front glass. Put tape high enough so Nugget cant see out. Is the top of your enclosure screen or solid. It needs to be completely closed to keep humidity in. Humidity should be 80%+. If screened you can use tin foil for now. If you got Nugget at a pet store and the supplies. Chances are you have some wrong supplies. I bought at a repticon show. The supplies all came with the aquarium. Everything inside the aquarium was wrong.I found what was wrong when I found this site. If Nugget is 1 yrs old be ready for a much bigger enclosure..
Dont let all this overwhelm you. all your questions can be answered here and everything I just wrote are suggestions
Read the threads Tech sent you and the other sulcata threads and ask questions.

Texas
Hi I am not sure about infrared for basking but I am new at this also. Do you have UVB light? If not let us know so we can guide you on the proper light. If you notice Nugget pacing the front glass. Put tape high enough so Nugget cant see out. Is the top of your enclosure screen or solid. It needs to be completely closed to keep humidity in. Humidity should be 80%+. If screened you can use tin foil for now. If you got Nugget at a pet store and the supplies. Chances are you have some wrong supplies. I bought at a repticon show. The supplies all came with the aquarium. Everything inside the aquarium was wrong.I found what was wrong when I found this site. If Nugget is 1 yrs old be ready for a much bigger enclosure..
Dont let all this overwhelm you. all your questions can be answered here and everything I just wrote are suggestions
Read the threads Tech sent you and the other sulcata threads and ask questions.
Thank you! And I don't think he/she has a UVB light (I plan on getting one very soon cause it is very important to his health), I have been reading and have heard stories about tortoises that can see through the enclosure, so far though he has had no problem with pacing, just to be safe though I think I will put tape up. Thank you for the tip on how to keep it humid I will do that cause his screen top has been a problem. I bought him at a feed store and he came with nothing but himself so the supplies collected are the ones I have gotten myself. (which honestly I am glad about since it seems that they don't give the proper equipment) :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, The_One_And_Only_Nugget, and Welcome to the Forum! (Couldn't you have picked a username that's easier to type? ;) )

Your little aquarium isn't big enough for Nugget to live in. You need something big enough so that he can do lots of walking and get lots of exercise. Plus, once you add in a few sight barriers, that little aquarium will be too crowded. He needs a few plants, feeder, waterer, two hiding places, etc. A big plastic tub is a lot cheaper than a big aquarium. Glass wall bother some tortoises and other tortoise could care less about them. If it does bother him in the future, all you have to do is wrap a strip of paper along the outside so he can't see out.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I am hoping to find out about infrared heat for you
Hi, The_One_And_Only_Nugget, and Welcome to the Forum! (Couldn't you have picked a username that's easier to type? ;) )

Your little aquarium isn't big enough for Nugget to live in. You need something big enough so that he can do lots of walking and get lots of exercise. Plus, once you add in a few sight barriers, that little aquarium will be too crowded. He needs a few plants, feeder, waterer, two hiding places, etc. A big plastic tub is a lot cheaper than a big aquarium. Glass wall bother some tortoises and other tortoise could care less about them. If it does bother him in the future, all you have to do is wrap a strip of paper along the outside so he can't see out.
Thanks Yvonne, I was worried about the infrared for heat. Was looking for some with more knowledge than me. Our new member had made another post and was talking with Tom. So I asked him about.
Between you and Tom she is in great hands.