hi!

abby101

Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
everything I say is probably gonna be so cringe but it's fine lol- I think tortoises are awesome animals! I'm interested in possibly starting a tortoise rescue/sanctuary but I truly know nothing. Does anyone have(I'm a young person so when I'm older after college obviously) some recommendations for things to do in college or late highschool? I think on the side of business and stuff like that I'm not really confused, but more on the things I need to learn and do before even getting close to starting. Otherwise, that's all!

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Welcome to the forum. There is a lot of great information here. Tortoises/turtles are an expensive animal to care for. Search the forum for general information.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Have you ever had a tortoise? You probably should at least have one for a while and make sure the ownership is what you want to consume you before diving into rescue. I do rescue for dogs or cats. If someone told me they wanted to do a cat rescue without ever having owned a cat, or owned one over its complete Lifecyle, I'd be pretty skeptical of it being successful

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Read up and learn..there are great care sheets here! Good luck with whatever you decide. Remember once you take one in, you are under a big obligation to provide correct care.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That can be a very daunting undertaking!
If I can make a reccomendation. Starting off specializing in a single species. One that does well in your area would be best.
You'll need space for a colony. Space for quarantined animals. A "hospital" pen and areas for young tortoises.
Even attempting this without a good sized outdoor lot is just about impossible. And even with the space it can become overwhelming and cost you every extra cent that you have.
Start small. Grow your knowledge. Perfect your husbandry and see what works for you.
Don't jump in and get over your head.
It takes a lot more than you might be considering. Especially since most tortoises needing rescue will need veterinarian attention and one on one care and will need to be totally isolated while they're in quarantine.
Even after it's all settled, there's no guarantee that this new animal will get along with the others...... I can go on and on. But for now, take my advice. Start out small. It's from someone who's been there.
(You can thank me later)
Get yourself a single tortoise and get it all set up and live with it for a while. See if you still feel the same way later. In a few years you'll know a lot more from first hand experience and that knowledge is the best.

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
everything I say is probably gonna be so cringe but it's fine lol- I think tortoises are awesome animals! I'm interested in possibly starting a tortoise rescue/sanctuary but I truly know nothing. Does anyone have(I'm a young person so when I'm older after college obviously) some recommendations for things to do in college or late highschool? I think on the side of business and stuff like that I'm not really confused, but more on the things I need to learn and do before even getting close to starting. Otherwise, that's all!
Hello and welcome. Start here:

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome, if you're serious about rehab/rescue. Maybe go to college and study veterinary geared towards exotics. But how ever you try to accomplish your goals. It will take money, especially if you get involved with tortoises like sulcata's.
I commend you for interest in wanting to care for tortoises. There are definitely plenty of torts out there that need help.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
You're going to need a lot of land eventually! Even small species need a minimum of 4 x 8 feet each. But I admire your ambition.
To do it successfully you are going to have to learn about the different species and their different care needs. There is a lot to learn. I've had my tort for over 8 years now and still learn something new most days. So start with the caresheets and maybe get your own tort to see what is involved in tort care.