Hi!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

русская tort

5 Year Member
Hi,
I'm A. B. This is my first time ever posting to a forum but I am saving up to buy my own russian tortoise, which will also be my first time owning any kind of reptile. I've been reading a couple threads and everyone seems pretty well informed so I had to give it a shot. I've been researching since April and while I think I'm ready to start picking out my tort I needed opinions on enclosures. My sisters have built all of their cages for their rats/hamster out of tupperware storage bins and while I've seen a few tortoise enclosures like this most owners upgrade to something else. Is this because the tupperware bins are just temporary or insufficient? Also the heating pads that I was looking up said it was best used for glass enclosures does that mean I couldn't use them for the storage bins?
I'd be very grateful for any help!!!!
Please and Thank you!:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
Welcome
The Rubbermaid type storage bins are good for hatchlings but as a tortoise gets older they usually require more space, I usually suggest an old bookcase lined with some type of thick plastic liner, or you can build your own out of wood. Th heaters don't work very well on other type of materials besides glass because glass will transfer the heat quickly while materials like wood or plastic don't transfer under the enclosure type heat very well, besides for a russain the best type of heating is overhead lighting.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Hi! Welcome to TFO! :)

You'll learn a lot here.

I would agree with David. Storage bins are great with hatchlings but, bigger = better. I would also ditch the heat pads. I've got Russians myself and they do way better outside. Can we ask where you are from? Sorry if you've already answered this elsewhere.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi русская tort :

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know where you are?

русская tort

5 Year Member
FernandoM said:
Hi! Welcome to TFO! :)

You'll learn a lot here.

I would agree with David. Storage bins are great with hatchlings but, bigger = better. I would also ditch the heat pads. I've got Russians myself and they do way better outside. Can we ask where you are from? Sorry if you've already answered this elsewhere.

I'm from Ohio where it snows nearly half of the year.lol. Since a russian tort would be kept best with heating lamps instead of the pads how long do you leave UVA/UVB lamp on per day?

dalano73 said:
Hello A.B. and welcome to the forum..

Thanx dalano73:D

ascott said:
Welcome A.B :D

Thanx for the welcome ascott:)

coreyc said:
Welcome to the TFO :)

Thank you! :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi....if you are going to be providing primarily artificial lighting then you may want to plan about 12-13 hours a day...if you are able to get your Russian out in the natural sun each day (at least 20-30 mins.) that would be much better....however the longer the better in the natural sun :p

русская tort

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Hi....if you are going to be providing primarily artificial lighting then you may want to plan about 12-13 hours a day...if you are able to get your Russian out in the natural sun each day (at least 20-30 mins.) that would be much better....however the longer the better in the natural sun :p
I only plan on getting one tort to start with but would I need more than one UVA/UVB? I thought one would be okay as long as the habitat temp stays around 85 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.