Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kataxenna

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wisconsin
Hi all! I am new here and have been lurking around the forums for information on my newest to my family here. A Russian Tortoise that was in a bad home. My Neighbor gave him to me and things to help get him on a better track to a healthy life. :D

I've had him for about a month now almost. Here is a picture.

8121299371_9ccffef3dc_c.jpg

8072531937_bc46455f0a_c.jpg

I have a few general questions and such about him..
I don't know how old he is. And i probably wont ever find out. Uhh. I have been told keeping him in Sand is an okay option. But he does have some ruff/dry skin and flaking of his skin and scales. I have been soaking him in water twice a week for roughly 20 minutes. He loves his lettuce, Thats for sure. He does have an over-grown beak. Which i am trying to get that better at the moment with a cuttlebone and filing it myself with a steel nail file.

He does have a temp. Name, i haven't gotten any good ideas for a name for him yet. So. For now we call him 'Derpy' Because of the way his beak is.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Kataxena, and welcome to the Forum!

I'm afraid you're going to have to do more than a nail file. He really needs more aggressive action. If it were my tortoise, I would take a toe-nail clipper to it...but I have done this before. You may want to take him to a vet to have it done.

You are correct in thinking that sand isn't a good substrate. I would change that to orchid bark. Even soil is better than sand. Just make sure the soil has no pesticides or herbicides in it.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome. I do agree with the above. Also lettuce is not good. There is no nutrition in it. You need kale, collard greens, turnip greens, weeds, greens like that. There should be Russian keepers to follow who will help further...

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
RE: Hello!

Hello and welcome...do you have a tortoise? Tell us about yourself...

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area

Welcome to tfo. We love pictures around here..

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
Oh poor baby. With that overgrown beak he could have a hard time eating. Take him to the vet for a trim if you can. And get him off of that sand today! No substrate at all is preferable to having him ingesting sand. The danger is the potential for impaction. I would soak him more to encourage him to clean out his bowels also. I prefer a combination of organic topsoil and coco coir for substrate. But get him off that sand quickly, why risk it. Cute name. My boy is Tucker because years ago when i got him my little girl loved how he 'tucked' himself into his shell. She is now all grown up and Tuck is going strong. Welcome to tfo

CourtneyAndCarl

5 Year Member
Middle of nowhere
Aw, poor little guy. It's a good thing you rescued him, and you definitely came to the right place to get some answers!

First things first, get him off the sand, and on to something like Coconut Coir or top soil. The beak needs to be trimmed ASAP, too.

Also important, but not nearly as important, is the diet. He really needs a varied diet consisting mostly of calcium and fiber rich weeds. In the winter time, a lot of people here feed their torts spring mix and prickly pear cactus pads that you can usually find in grocery stores.

Kataxenna

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks everyone! All the help is so wonderful! I don't know if we have a vet local around here. My neighbor collects Turtles, I believe he has seven or eight..Or more Box turtles. So, He wasn't very helpful in any care instructions for my baby.

As for feeding He's been getting Romaine Lettuce, and lots of Turnip greens. I haven't seen a really nice long list of foods for him yet, But i am still looking for a good one! I know his beak is pretty bad, And its a little shorter since these pictures were taken. But i really have to find someone who can trim it for me. Do you think the Humane Society could do that? I still will have to look around. He does eat though. He loves to eat. I know he gets stressed because it is harder for him to eat, I am sure. D:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Kataxenna said:
I'm sorry. My computer glitched out and i started two welcome threads at the same time.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-58745.html#axzz2AwcdHqlC

Is the original thread~

Your computer didn't glitch out. We tell new members at the beginning of the "introductions" section, where it says to "read this before making your first post", that new members' posts are moderated and won't show up on the forum until a moderator has approved them. So ALL of your posts, ALL of them, were posted, just not approved. But most of them have now been deleted as duplicates. :p

Kataxenna

5 Year Member
Wisconsin
Thanks!

Yesterday, Derpy went in and had his beak trimmed as well as the lady could do. :3 And right now he is munching away on some Turnip greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.