Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxDarkEuphoriaxX

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Indiana
Sooo, I have developed a recent interest in tortoise...but nyhow. Don't have one yet... but will in the next 5 years hopefully..... I just wanted some input on something.. from what I have gathered the Hermanns is overall the best tortoise to start with. Here is another concern. I live in Southern Indiana and the humidity is very commonly in the summer months around 60%, 70% sometimes in the 80 percentile range. THIS concerns me.....since most tortoises like low humidy :the ones native to the US: perhaps excluding the florida gopher tortoise........

I live with my parents currently, am 19 yrs, hopefully will get a good job with the electronics and computer technology assoc. degree I will be starting in a week..

I have a very large yard (well my parents do) and my family owns a very large area including 2 fields and a decent amount of woods. Space isnt really a issue but humidity and temperature are. It gets down to the 20's and 30's in winter sometimes in the teens...

The only tortoise I could come up with that I was suited for was the brown or black burmese mountain tortoise..... but $$$ and not sure about how easy captive bred ones are to aquire... and not much info on them. I rly wanted a leopard but I probably live in too humid of an area..

what do u guys think? and HI :D

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi XxDarkEuphoriaxX (May I call you "X"??):

1685359uop2x4pcri.gif

to the forum!!

If the weather is warm/hot and you can keep your enclosure fairly dry, the humidity isn't a problem. Desert-type tortoises poop and pee in their burrow in order to keep the humidity up a bit. This helps them grow smooth shells (bumpy shell is called "pyramiding"). I think a Hermann's tortoise is a good choice for a first-time tort owner. You might also look at the Russian tortoise and the Greek tortoise. The Manouria tortoise would be more for an experienced keeper.

Yvonne

shelber10

10 Year Member!
long island NY
WELCOME XxDarkEuphoriaxX to the forum:D
if you are interested in a tortoise that likes high humidity i would go with a red foot tortoise or a yellow foot tortoise

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Welcome! Reds and Yellows would love that climate if you give them a little spray and keep it at over 70% :)

Status
Not open for further replies.