HI!!!!!

ecornwall

I am the proud owner of a 7 month old sulcata and a 4 year old russian. I wasn't sure about putting them together, but it couldn't have been a better decision. They sleep face to face, eat together and seem very content. I always thought they were solitary creatures, but I don't believe that anymore. My sulcata is more adventurous than my russian, but he has lived with me since he was a week old, while my russian i beleive grew up in the wild or at least not in close contact with people. I can't wait for it to warm up so they can go outside! Patrick is my sulcata (may have to be changed to Patricia when he gets older) and Teagan is my russian.

Attachments

• IMG_5307.JPG
    IMG_5307.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 43

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Hello and welcome to the forum:) there is a lot of information on here that will help you with the husbandry/care and personality of both the Sulcata and Russian species.

I HIGHLY discourage you to house your Sulcata and Russian together. I know you feel that they sleep well together face to face, but that's a big misconception. If you want to have more than one of the same species, that's another topic and even then, you need to research how many are best kept together within the same species. Trios are recommended for Sulcatas, but it also depends on the sex of the Sulcatas. With Russians, it also depends on how you house them, indoors or out.

First off, they don't even cross each other in the wild. They both carry different pathogens that could potentially harm or kill the other one. Second, the Sulcata will get large and probably kill your Russian. Why risk such potential bad outcomes, as its devastating to lose a tortoise, especially when it could be prevented. I know you think they are doing well and probably the same size now, but my guess is that there is already dominance and even fighting over food, even if you don't directly see it.

Please know I am only trying to help educate and give your tortoises the best outcome possible:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Please read Toms threads below in my post for proper sulcata care to help keep your sully from continuing with the pyramiding. Also, as much as you think,it is a great idea to,house the two together, it is not. Not a good idea at all for many reasons, one being different enclosure requirements, another being size difference. Just too name a couple

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Welcome to TFO! Things will change quickly for your sulcata compared to a russian because of the vast difference in growth rate and final size. Take the advice above and do the best you can with it. Glad to have you

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ecornwall said:
I am the proud owner of a 7 month old sulcata and a 4 year old russian. I wasn't sure about putting them together, but it couldn't have been a better decision. They sleep face to face, eat together and seem very content. I always thought they were solitary creatures, but I don't believe that anymore. My sulcata is more adventurous than my russian, but he has lived with me since he was a week old, while my russian i beleive grew up in the wild or at least not in close contact with people. I can't wait for it to warm up so they can go outside! Patrick is my sulcata (may have to be changed to Patricia when he gets older) and Teagan is my russian.

HI!

You are wrong. "Sleeping" face to face is classic tortoise aggression. More likely the russian is the aggressor due to his/her age. The best thing you could do for your tortoises at this point is to separate them and hope that your sulcata has not caught a potentially fatal pathogen.

Welcome to the forum. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome to the forum and please do what Tom suggested.