Hibernating Box Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tegan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hill Country, TX
What is the lowest tolerable temperature that I can hibernate my boxie at? She is native to the area so I was thinking that I might be able to just put her enclosure outside for the winter. I have never really messed with hibernating her before. She was always kind of free to roam and do as she pleased in the bedroom. Now that I have moved into a bigger house I’m not comfortable letting her hibernate on her own.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Sorry I missed this post somehow. Temps from 40-55 are optimal for Box Turtle hibernation. I wouldnt go below 40.

reptileeats

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Alabama
Tegan,
Unless you plan on breeding I wouldn't hibernate. Unless you are very careful this can be deadly. If you do plan on hibernating her the first thing I would do is take her to the vet for a check up. When hibernating you have to be careful of placing your turtle in an area where predators can get to her.
I personally have no experience hibernating/keeping box turtles because they are illegal to own in my area but if you plan on doing it make sure you research, research, research before hand. I'm pretty sure it has to be done in stages. Slowly reducing feedings, temps. etc.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.