Hibernation and substrate questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

shelloise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Manitoba Canada
Hi, I am wondering if marginated tortoises have to hibernate and also, what is a good substrate for them ? Are they diggers like russians?
Thanks,

ustwoandthekids

5 Year Member
Hi I haven't had tortoises long but as far as I know you don't have to hibernate any tortoise, I won't ever hibernate my marginated would be to worrying!! With my marginated I use coco fibre which works well with him but doesn't with my sulcata. Marginated do like to dig mine sleeps half buried in it hide, hope this helps

LeopardTortLover

5 Year Member
Manchester, UK
I believe you do hibernate marginated yes, once they get to a certain age and are fit enough. Coco coir is suitable for most tortoises.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You don't have to hibernate any tortoise. There are some species that must never be hibernated, but none that must not.

Marginated are Testudo Mediterranean torts and can be hibernated once they reach a reasonably mature size, but you do not have to do it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If you have the room indoors for a more or less permanent tortoise habitat, and are able to keep a tortoise warm through the winter, and if you WANT to keep your tortoise awake, then there is no reason for him to hibernate. It is strictly up to you. There is one school of thought that a tortoise must hibernate to be healthy. In my opinion, this is not so.

Personally, I like for my hibernating species to hibernate. It gives me a break from the daily routine.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Marginateds can be brumated (hibernated) in captivity, but do not have to be. They are not a burrowing species like Russians which are the only true burrowing species of the Testudo genus.

Status
Not open for further replies.