Hibernation attempt or just sleepy?

James9811

Location (City and/or State)
Newcastle upon Tyne
Hi all!

My baby tortoise has been sleeping under his basking lamp a lot recently (hence my other post where I asked about them sleeping directly under their heat source). The temps throughout are pretty much spot on to where they should be as advised by you guys, and when he sleeps, boy does he sleep. I’m talking quite a lot of the day, with his head fully extended laying on the ground. Don’t get me wrong, when he wakes up he’s crazy active, loves a climb and especially loves his supervised time to free roam the living room. I’m probably overthinking it I just want to make sure he isn’t trying to go into hibernation as I read another article on here where an owner had the same concerns.

He is also on a stubborn hunger strike which I don’t know if could be adding to this?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hanging out under a heat source with head and or legs extended is basking.
If he or she is basking all day long. I think you need to double check your temperature. I think it might be too low.
The no eating could also be caused by temperatures that are too low because proper digestion needs a warm temperature too.
What are you measuring it with?
What does it read?

James9811

Newcastle upon Tyne
Hanging out under a heat source with head and or legs extended is basking.
If he or she is basking all day long. I think you need to double check your temperature. I think it might be too low.
The no eating could also be caused by temperatures that are too low because proper digestion needs a warm temperature too.
What are you measuring it with?
What does it read?
Hey!

I was off work yesterday and checked in on him multiple times and it was different each time, sometimes he was buried, sometimes basking, sometimes having a climb, so I think when I got home from work most of the time and seen him flat out I’ve thought the worst… however it actually isn’t all the time thankfully.

So directly under the lamp is 33-34, surrounding areas around 27-29 and the night time temperature drops to a minimum of 19, we use a temperature gun which has surface heat, room heat and object heat settings, so comes in really handy.

My posts make it sound like I’ve got a little problem tortoise on my hands, however he really is as good as gold and we’ve had very little issue with him, it’s just my new tortoise query’s shining through above the good boy that he is! Haha!

Thanks so much for your reply, any advice from you guys is massively taken on board!