• Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Hibernation box help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
They are outside and im in kansas. I would let them hibernate naturally but i dont think they can dig deep enough in their enclosure.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Staten Island, New York
Mine are outside year round and I live in NY and it gets pretty cold here. On one side of the turtle garden I loosen up the soil and add some peat moss to keep it loose. Then I put about 2 feet of dried leaves and on top of that about a foot of pine hay. (I go in the woods and find a dead pine tree and take some branches.) I cover the top of that side (looks like a cave) with a piece of plywood covered with pond liner. Just don't use any green leaves or grass as that generates heat. I haven't seen mine for two days now as the weather has been down in the low 50's. They are dug under, but might still come up if we get a warm day. If you need pictures, I can post some.

Saloli

5 Year Member
middle river
If they can dig at least 2 feet they should be okay. You can also pill on extra leaf litter or straw for added insulation once they have gone under.

Mr.Tortoise95

5 Year Member
Yeah thats the problem i dont think they can dig 2 feet. And yes i would love to see pictures. Until today they have been in a little hole right under the surface...they couldnt dig any deeper because there is concrete or something under the grass in my yard in almost every spot.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York

this is the garden on the side of my house. The hibernation cave is under the red flowers (hibuscus plant)

This is the little pond

lvstorts

5 Year Member
Brunation is a serious undertaking! When I first started with Box Turtles the following book help me bunch: "Box Turtles" by Tess Cook. She explains lots of non-hole-in-the-ground-options. May help.

Status
Not open for further replies.