HIBERNATION- can he breathe in the fridge?

tortoishell

Location (City and/or State)
Washington, USA
I'm going to start lowering my tortoise's temperature in a couple days, but before I do, can you guys give me advice on my current setup? I'm using the fridge method.
First of all, can he breathe in the fridge?
I have a strong plastic box with ample room for him to turn and walk a bit if he suddenly wakes up. There is a good air supply (the box has several gaps).
He is a Russian Tortoise, and the humidity will be around 55 to 60%. The ambient temperature will be around 40 degrees farenheit.
I have a dampened sponge under the lid that I positioned so that it wouldn't touch my tortoise, but would raise the moisture.
I will have some sort of cover to insure privacy, probably just a sheet draped over the fridge (the door is see --through glass).
I'm going to use coconut chips mixed in with coconut fiber, with a thin layer of hay on top.
Am I missing anything?

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
I'm going to start lowering my tortoise's temperature in a couple days, but before I do, can you guys give me advice on my current setup? I'm using the fridge method.
I have a strong plastic box with ample room for him to turn and walk a bit if he suddenly wakes up. There is a good air supply (the box has several gaps).
He is a Russian Tortoise, and the humidity will be around 55 to 60%. The ambient temperature will be around 40 degrees farenheit.
I have a dampened sponge under the lid that I positioned so that it wouldn't touch my tortoise, but would raise the moisture.
I will have some sort of cover to insure privacy, probably just a sheet draped over the fridge (the door is see --through glass).
I'm going to use coconut chips mixed in with coconut fiber, with a thin layer of hay on top.
Am I missing anything?
Hi and welcome to the forum!

Please read the threads available on hibernation. And keep us updated.

Any pics of your tort and his enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Am I missing anything?

No hay and no sponge. I'd just use dry-ish coco chips. Cover the box with a dark colored towel or two.

Opening and closing the fridge every once in a while will allow plenty of oxygen for a hibernating tortoise at 40 degrees. If you are worried, close a small tube in the door. I used to take the "guts" out of a pen and close the rigid tube in the fridge door. I realized this wasn't necessary and stopped doing it years ago, but it made me fell better those first few years.

Is it a full size fridge, or a mini? Be careful of cold spots.

tortoishell

Washington, USA
The fridge is a mini fridge that we normally use to store wine. How often would I have to open the door? I know his heart rate drops, but I want to be careful