Hibernation Issue

tortgrl

Hi. I was given a CDT two weeks ago. The family that gave him to me told me they never really put him into hibernation because they were scared he might die. They have had him for a couple of years, in an indoor tank (I am building him an outside one right now). But I guess he would go into his hide and sleep for a couple of weeks, then wake up to eat for a couple of days...then go back to sleep for a few more weeks, wake up and eat, etc. He was sleeping when we got him, and we were so excited when he woke up on Thurs and pigged out. But he went back to sleep yesterday! Is this normal? Is he okay? When will he finally wake up?!

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
A tort that has a strong drive to brumate will do so regardless of where they are and how it is set up....this will go for both the CDT and the Russian.

Do you have the enclosure outdoor set up? What are your temps like? Is the enclosure secure for the tort so he does not wander off??

I would let the tort kinda guide you in what it wants to do....however, I would encourage him to wake up and then get him out in the outdoor enclosure to walk, sun and graze...you see, it sounds as though the tort has not been kept in a good way to allow the tort to do what it would be doing if proper environment had been offered....so plan on setting up a new routine for the tort that is more in line with what it needs....

tortgrl

ascott said:
A tort that has a strong drive to brumate will do so regardless of where they are and how it is set up....this will go for both the CDT and the Russian.

Do you have the enclosure outdoor set up? What are your temps like? Is the enclosure secure for the tort so he does not wander off??

I would let the tort kinda guide you in what it wants to do....however, I would encourage him to wake up and then get him out in the outdoor enclosure to walk, sun and graze...you see, it sounds as though the tort has not been kept in a good way to allow the tort to do what it would be doing if proper environment had been offered....so plan on setting up a new routine for the tort that is more in line with what it needs....

It have the outside enclosure set up...I put him there yesterday and he just went into his hide and slept. Did not eat at all. I brought him in last night...and he is still sleeping. I didn't put him out because I didn't want to disturb him. It was 75 degrees yesterday, and it is 85 today.

So I should stick him out there each day regardless if he is sleeping? Thanks for your advice!

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I would normally say to let the tort sleep....however, you describe a tort that never actually went down for any length of time....so to me, I would wake the tort up each and every day, soak him, then set him out to bask...even if he is going to his hide, he will still be stimulated each and every time you keep him in routine....you will also want to bring him indoors at night until he has developed his normal routine and is actively participating.....just what I would do based on what you have shared....