Hibernation, lighting, and food

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hi!

So I'm a bit miffed and don't know where to find this information.

I live in 4-seasons Michigan though not in the coldest area.

I have an African Hinge back. I didn't remember experiencing this last year but noticed he's slowed way down on coming out of his hide and Def less eating and drinking. I'm guessing he's trying to hibernate but I don't know to what extent I'm to help him with that? Do I leave off his UVA/Uvb light? He's on a heat mat though the rest of the enclosure would be cooler due to the light being off. Do I continue to maintain humidity? Please help. I want to be sure he's well cared for.

Thank you very much!

Lisa

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Hi! Fellow hingeback owner here, can you please send an image of your tort?
You have two types of hingebacks, savannah and forest, so we need to identify that, @2turtletom is the expert on them.
How old is your tort?
Read this, this has all the info you need, at the end, you should see husbandry and all the info you are looking for will be there

Michigan
Hi! Fellow hingeback owner here, can you please send an image of your tort?
You have two types of hingebacks, savannah and forest, so we need to identify that, @2turtletom is the expert on them.
How old is your tort?
Read this, this has all the info you need, at the end, you should see husbandry and all the info you are looking for will be there
Hi!

Yes. He's A tropical Homes Hinge back. This is the only one I have of him at the moment for saving space on my phone. Tried to send you a video. Won't allow.

He's about 24 years old.

Lisa

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211207-144303_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20211207-144303_Instagram.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20211207-144841_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20211207-144841_Photos.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 16

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Wow, he's ancient, I think that's the oldest homes I've ever seen, make sure he stays humid, can you send images of his enclosure, I forgot to ask

Michigan
Wow, he's ancient, I think that's the oldest homes I've ever seen, make sure he stays humid, can you send images of his enclosure, I forgot to ask
When I got him from someone who was (screech) selling him at a yard sale, she said he was 22. Couple years ago. I don't have the perfect enclosure for him but trying to find a much larger one. I really want him to live well. Sorry it's so dark.

Attachments

• 16389130295505169488814133513396.jpg
    16389130295505169488814133513396.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 14

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
I would say remove the coil lamp, it causes eye damage, if you have facebook, join "kinixys keepers" and "hingeback tortoise group" @2turtletom is on there and other experts aswell, they will also happily answer your questions

Michigan
I would say remove the coil lamp, it causes eye damage, if you have facebook, join "kinixys keepers" and "hingeback tortoise group" @2turtletom is on there and other experts aswell, they will also happily answer your questions
Ok, thank you. Yes, I never really liked the coil bulb (even though it's uva/Uvb specific but found good reviews on it. I'll check out the groups as well.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Your tortoise is likely a Western Hingeback, Kinixys nogueyi but not a Homes for sure. Whoever raised it kept it way too dry as the shell is pretty badly pyramided. Thank you for wanting to give this one a better home.

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio