Hibernation of 18 year old Hermann's

hermann_freddie

Hi!

I have an 18 year old male Hermann's. We got him when he was 5 and the pet shop told us that Hermann's tortoises don't hibernate. I never thought to question it and only realised it wasn't true in the last year or so. Freddie has never hibernated, and seems perfectly healthy, but I don't know whether I should start hibernating him now. Does anyone have any experience in this? I'm just worried about making him hibernate when neither of us are used to it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry we're taking so long to give you an answer. Quite a few of us don't keep the Hermanni tortoises, but we realize that some sub species do hibernate, and some don't, so we hesitate to give you an answer. But!!! You just happen to be in luck. Because we have a REALLY GREAT resource here on the Forum in our member HermanniChris. So I'll send him a shout-out - @HermanniChris Hopefully he will be able to help you. I think he's going to want to see pictures to be sure what sub species Freddie is, top and bottom

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
All subspecies of Hermann's tortoise hibernate but length and temperature varies among different locales. If you post a picture that would help me a bit.
We've successfully hibernate tortoises that hadn't previously (some went without it for 20 years or more) but you really don't have to do it. It's a personal preference really. There has been much debate on whether or not it must be done for Mediterranean species but no bona fide proof has surfaced to say that it absolutely should be done. However, they do in nature and so it is naturalistic for them to experience it. Hibernation is a way for the animals to deal with unfavorable conditions so if conditions are favorable, they won't sleep one would think. They do still have biological "clocks" in them that let them know what is going on outside even when they are indoors and some keepers report that their tortoises will slow down in the fall and stop eating to some extent.

hermann_freddie

Hi, here are pictures of top and bottom. I do notice that he eats much less in the winter than he does in the summer, as I struggle to keep his enclosure warm enough for him.
20151029_121900.jpg

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Well you have a Dalmatian Hermann's tortoise (Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis) and it is in fact a female. They are able to handle quite cold temperatures.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I would note that she does not look very fat. Maybe this is not the winter to hibernate her.

Kori5

How can you tell from a picture? I have a Hermann too and would love to know :)

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Look at how the flesh around her tail and legs is wrinkled. If she were fat, all those areas would be plump.

hermann_freddie

Well you have a Dalmatian Hermann's tortoise (Testudo hermanni hercegovinensis) and it is in fact a female. They are able to handle quite cold temperatures.

Sorry about the really late response, that is a revelation! Thanks! The pet shop told us she was male, and I never thought to question it. I suppose Freddie is now Winifred :p I don't think I will hibernate her this year, but I'll see if I can get her fat enough for next year :)