Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dem Em

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I am new to the forum, and was looking for some advice.
I got my spur thighed tortoise in march this year and she is about 2 years old. I looking for advice on hibernation, I have looked on the internet and am getting conflicting advice.
What is the best thing for me to do for my tortoise health? should I hibernate her or not and is it to late?
Thanks
Dem Em

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Dem Em: Some folks confuse the African spurred tortoise and the spur thighed tortoise. The African tortoise does not hibernate. (Just to be safe, LOL!)

Yvonne

Dem Em

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Dem Em: Some folks confuse the African spurred tortoise and the spur thighed tortoise. The African tortoise does not hibernate. (Just to be safe, LOL!)

Yvonne
Hi Yvonne

I have not fed my tortoise for 2 weeks now as I was going to put her into hibernation, I am a bit concerned as I have just got her out and her underneath is really soft does anybody know any reason for this? and what can I do to correct it.

Thanks
Dem Em

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
If your tortoise's plastron is soft than you shouldn't hibernate. A soft plastron or carapace is caused from not enough, calcium, phosphorus or vitamin D or a combination of all 3.
What are you feeding for a diet and are you supplementing with calcium?

Danny

Dem Em

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
If your tortoise's plastron is soft than you shouldn't hibernate. A soft plastron or carapace is caused from not enough, calcium, phosphorus or vitamin D or a combination of all 3.
What are you feeding for a diet and are you supplementing with calcium?

Danny

I have been feeding her dandilion leaves, and I have not been supplementing with calcium. would you be able to advise me on what to do please.
Thanks
Dem Em

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You need to be expanding her diet. Here's a good list of UK weeds with pictures that you can feed your tortoise. http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6243
In the winter you can supplement with Floret crispy salad and Romaine lettuce.
You need to be adding calcium to the greens at every feeding. You can get Nutrabol at most petshops or on-line. You can also get cuttlebones. They sell these for birds. You can put a piece in the enclosure with her so she can nibble on it.
What kind of lights are you using for her?

Danny

Dem Em

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
You need to be expanding her diet. Here's a good list of UK weeds with pictures that you can feed your tortoise. http://www.shelledwarriors.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=6243
In the winter you can supplement with Floret crispy salad and Romaine lettuce.
You need to be adding calcium to the greens at every feeding. You can get Nutrabol at most petshops or on-line. You can also get cuttlebones. They sell these for birds. You can put a piece in the enclosure with her so she can nibble on it.
What kind of lights are you using for her?

Danny

Danny

Thanks I have been out to the pet shop this morning and have brought some nutrabol and I have given her a feed with it on.
Thank you so much for your help it has been really helpful.
Do you think I should not hibernate her this year then?
Dem Em

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I think everybody will agree, as long as the softness is there, you should NOT hibernate. It will take some time for the new improvements in diet to start showing any change. Work on getting her/him into top shape for next season's hibernation.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
No you shouldn't hibernate her this year.

Your welcome :)

Danny

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And bear in mind that the calcium needs either the actual sun or a UVB/UVA light in order to do the tortoise any good.

Yvonne

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Nutrabol has vitamin D in it Yvonne :) but yes a good UVB light won't hurt a bit :D

Danny

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
There is absolutely no reason to hibernate your tortoise unless you want to for whatever reason.

Some believe that it is a necessity to those species that hibernate in the wild... and they are right. In the wild temperatures and conditions drop to levels that are unfavorable for survival. If the tortoise does not hibernate under these conditions they usually die. In captivity... if you have favorable conditions... the tortoise is not inclined to hibernate.

The execption to this is if you have a wild caught animal that has developed a circadian rythum... in which case time becomes a factor in addition to environmental conditions. If you have a captive born and raised animal this becomes a moot point and there is no reason to hibernate when the general health of the tortoise is considered.

Unless the animal is of breeding size and you are looking to breed the animal... I strongly suggest against the practice.

Dem Em said:
I am new to the forum, and was looking for some advice.
I got my spur thighed tortoise in march this year and she is about 2 years old. I looking for advice on hibernation, I have looked on the internet and am getting conflicting advice.
What is the best thing for me to do for my tortoise health? should I hibernate her or not and is it to late?
Thanks
Dem Em

I highly recommend Mazuri Tortoise diet, NutraZu, T-Rex tortoise diet, Pretty pets or Monster diet(tortoise). These are very well rounded complete diets that should relieve all your nutritional concerns.

I have been feeding her dandilion leaves, and I have not been supplementing with calcium. would you be able to advise me on what to do please.
Thanks
Dem Em
[/quote]

Status
Not open for further replies.