Hibernation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristie.craig

5 Year Member
So I came home from work today and Sheldon (I put Sheldon in his new tortoise table before work) was completely buried under the dirt......I was worried because I couldn't find him them I dug down a little and found him. He wasn't moving so I thought he was dead. So I dug him out and touched his leg to c if he would move. He moved but stayed tucked in his shell. So I put him back in the hold he made and put the dirt back on top. Could he be hibernating? I've never seen him do this before.... Help!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southwest Washington
They can burrow down completely under the dirt. Sometimes they do it for a few days, then come back out.
He may be adjusting to his new set up; hide first, check it out later.

However, since it is a new table and set up, make sure the temps, etc., are good.
Warm side, under basking light, cool side. Use an accurate thermometer to measure the temps.
If they are good, your substrate is tort friendly, and he was active and eating previously, then give him a few days.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Your Russian tortoise is being a Russian tortoise, that's what they do, spend much of their life underground.
Tortoises do not hibernate if kept at active level temperatures and light (duration & intensity).

Status
Not open for further replies.