Hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

murple

5 Year Member
Hi. It's my second yr of owning my Russian. He is roughly 5-6 years old. The last week or so he has been very sleepy not eating much and hardly moving about. On nice days when outside he is usually active and climbing everywhere but this has not been the case.

My instinct is he is getting ready for hibernation. I plan to hibernate him for the first time, last year was my first year with him and he had an injury so he stayed awake. He was a bit like this last yr but it was the same time as injury so thought it was that. What do you guys think, just don't want to miss an illness. I live in uk and temps have dropped.

I will be booking him in to the vets for a check up and advice next week to ensure he is ok to hibernate but would appreciate your views.

Cheers

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
Good luck! I have no experience hibernating tortoises. I know they have to be in good health so I think a vet visit is a good idea.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you tort has had a full tortoise season to feed, exercise, sun and get fresh air ....and the illness he had has been completely resolved then I amy consider it...however, I personally would want a full year of illness free time before brumating him....that is just my opinion...although most times I error on the side of caution :D

murple

5 Year Member
Reggies had a full MOT at the vet and all good. Ordered a drinks fridge for him to sleep in. A little nervous but know its for the best.

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
He wasn't kept outdoors all the time? He should. For dull days, a small greenhouse-type small enclosure would boost him- of course, one with open bottom at one end, to get in or out as he needs.
For keepers new to hibernation I usually recommend the easiest method: let them start it outdoors, but do not digg them up and put in the fridge right away- that is a trap! Watch the tortoises for re-emerging, since they will do that a few times, maybe for 2-3 weeks! When serious cold arrives, they will let you know, burrowing much deeper. Just then you can recover them and start controlled hibernation.
Until that, water at their disposal. It is recommended for them to fast about a month, to digest all the food in the stomach.
Check the link in the signature, to understand a few basics.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.