hibernation

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
hi all. This is post number two! I was wondering, will my Greek tortoise Darwin need to hibernate? I've noticed he has been eating and moving less. Is he just going into a hibernative phase? Will he hibernate? If so, what should I know and what will I have to do during the process?
thanks!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you haven't had him for a year, don't let him hibernate. Bump up the heat and possibly add a little more lighting and leave the lights on for 12 hours. If you want him to hibernate, others will fill you in on what to do or expect.

Darwin_T

5 Year Member
wellington said:
If you haven't had him for a year, don't let him hibernate. Bump up the heat and possibly add a little more lighting and leave the lights on for 12 hours. If you want him to hibernate, others will fill you in on what to do or expect.

thanks thats really haelpful. I appreicciate it :)

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi...yup, as shared, it is a good idea to overwinter the tort if you and he are new to one another for less than a full year..this is the time you can use to get to know one another and for you to learn what is his normal behavior....now, if he is feeling his internal evolutionary clock ticking down for brumation then you will want to step up on keeping him on schedule, bother him a few times a day for soaking, sunning and exercising...it may be a challenge but worth it to assure he is adjusting to you and his new digs/routine....it will also allow you ample time to get yourself educated in supporting brumation as well as time to set up an appropriate hibernacle set up...:D

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Darwin_T said:
hi all. This is post number two! I was wondering, will my Greek tortoise Darwin need to hibernate? I've noticed he has been eating and moving less. Is he just going into a hibernative phase? Will he hibernate? If so, what should I know and what will I have to do during the process?
thanks!

Depends on his country of origin, as some Graeca subspecies naturally brumate in the wild, while other subspecies do not and these probably will not survive brumation. Do you know Darwin's subspecies?

That said, brumation in captivity is optional for any temperate zone tortoise and many of us over-winter our pets with no health issues whatsoever.