Hibiscus ?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
That's so cool! I don't mean to correct you...those are Rose of Sharon, in the Hibiscus family, but the flowers are a wee bit smaller and they handle snow and ice...
100_8196.JPG
100_8275.JPG
I used to have several Russians and they didn't graze on blooms at all...
one of my several Rose of Sharon bushes
100_8198.JPG

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Glad to hear they like them. I'm dedicating an acre next year to a sulcata. But it gets cold here so I have to build some sort of building or green house for winter.
I live in the Pacific North West it snows and ices here...I keep Sulcata...my tort shed is 20'x12' heated and insulated, the temp stays a constant 85 degrees. There are different Sulcata pens so that one is being grazed down while the others rest. I also have Redfoot very temperature sensitive he is happy in the shed and his outside pen.
100_5453.JPG
in the rainy part of winter
100_6258.JPG
There are doggie doors on both side of the shed, so the tortoises can go and come at will...
inside the shed are UVB lights, CHE heater for each tort, a heater that keeps the ambient temps up, and sleeping boxes for each tort... there are different species in the shed but they do not have contact with each other..hth
100_6255.JPG

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
I live in the Pacific North West it snows and ices here...I keep Sulcata...my tort shed is 20'x12' heated and insulated, the temp stays a constant 85 degrees. There are different Sulcata pens so that one is being grazed down while the others rest. I also have Redfoot very temperature sensitive he is happy in the shed and his outside pen.
View attachment 329882
in the rainy part of winter
View attachment 329883
There are doggie doors on both side of the shed, so the tortoises can go and come at will...
inside the shed are UVB lights, CHE heater for each tort, a heater that keeps the ambient temps up, and sleeping boxes for each tort... there are different species in the shed but they do not have contact with each other..hth
View attachment 329884
This is amazing and you just gave me so much inspiration. I have lots of insulation and dry wall. I was going to do something similar with an elevated floor made of concrete, build walls around it, insulate, dry wall and a substrate at the bottom. I also know an electrician I was going to get to a solar panels on the roof and outlets inside and then hang the lights... now I just want to buy a shed? but I love building things.