Hibiscus in the house?

pawsplus

Location (City and/or State)
Nashville, TN
I always get Beasley a few hibiscus bushes every summer and when it gets cold they just die. I don't plant them (just mourn the pot in her large outdoor pen) and doubt they would survive the winter here. But might they do OK inside? My cats eat plants but at least it's non-toxic LOL. I could cut the top off the pot and bury it in the enclosure substrate. The room the enclosure is in gets AM Sun and has overhead lighting.

Is this a pointless attempt or might it work?

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
They do pretty good inside for me, but typically produce few flowers in the winter. At least you wouldn’t have to keep buying new ones though.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
I guess it's worth a try! I usually find them on sale and it's worth it b/c she loves the leaves and flowers so much. We will see how it goes, I guess!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Bring them inside, and make sure they are well hydrated with humidity. Dry hot indoor air will cause their leaves to drop quickly. Sometimes I’ll give them a good pruning back, water, fertilize and keep in bright sunny room.

Good luck.

pawsplus

Nashville, TN
There really are no bright, sunny rooms in my house. I'm down in a "holler," with hills all around, so the best the room will get is AM sun door a few hours. So it may not work. But I will give it a try! Even if they only last a month, that's an extra month of leave a at least. ?

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
There really are no bright, sunny rooms in my house. I'm down in a "holler," with hills all around, so the best the room will get is AM sun door a few hours. So it may not work. But I will give it a try! Even if they only last a month, that's an extra month of leave a at least. ?
LED Plant light and HOPE