Hibiscus Palustris another cold hardy one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I got some small plants mixed in with some cattails that were growing in brackish water in 2011, they are blooming this year and look to be hibiscus palustris, I have them in 6 in pots, now that I know they are a good tort food and don't need brackish water to grow I will put them in a better growing area for future use. should have extra seeds later this fall.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
Len said:
I got some small plants mixed in with some cattails that were growing in brackish water in 2011, they are blooming this year and look to be hibiscus palustris, I have them in 6 in pots, now that I know they are a good tort food and don't need brackish water to grow I will put them in a better growing area for future use. should have extra seeds later this fall.

Good to know! Thanks for sharing. :)

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Darwin[TURTLE] & Wallace[TURTLE]
Winnipeg, Canada

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
I'm interested in taking some of those seeds off your hands. ;-)

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
"Larry" the Golden Greek..adopted
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Would love to grab some of the seeds too if you have extra. I'm in Ontario

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

rnbslitheringhouse

5 Year Member
Sh3wulf said:
Would love to grab some of the seeds too if you have extra. I'm in Ontario

Two kids, One husband, One Hines57, One Leopard Tortoise, and a room at the sanitarium lol

Where in ontario??

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Just outside Toronto. We are in the burbs lol. Needed some property for my tortoise to roam.

Tyrtle

5 Year Member
Arvada, Colorado
Well that sure is beautiful. I have a couple of similar varieties here in Zone 5 and they do quite well. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

Len B

10 Year Member!
If anyone wants some seeds, I have these, with the white blooms, and the other cold hardy with the red blooms.I also have some hosta, rose of sharon, and canna lilly seeds. To get some just send me a self addressed stamped envelope, and I will send them to you. The canna seeds are larger and may need a little extra postage. I am in zone 7 and grow these planted in the ground with no winter protection applied.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Len said:
If anyone wants some seeds, I have these, with the white blooms, and the other cold hardy with the red blooms.I also have some hosta, rose of sharon, and canna lilly seeds. To get some just send me a self addressed stamped envelope, and I will send them to you. The canna seeds are larger and may need a little extra postage. I am in zone 7 and grow these planted in the ground with no winter protection applied.

So you grow your hostas from seeds? ... and the cannas. Interesting

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Hi Len,
I will PM you, but I would love some. I'm zone 5 so I unfortunately have to bring my Canna up and into the garage to winter, but love them.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sh3wulf said:
Hi Len,
I will PM you, but I would love some. I'm zone 5 so I unfortunately have to bring my Canna up and into the garage to winter, but love them.

I was raised they had to be dug up and then a few years ago I saw them being used along the roads in the Carolinas (I think). Took me a bit to realize duh it's warmer so they don't have to dig all those up in the fall and replant them in the spring. :D

Len B

10 Year Member!
Jacqui said:
Sh3wulf said:
Hi Len,

I was raised they had to be dug up and then a few years ago I saw them being used along the roads in the Carolinas (I think). Took me a bit to realize duh it's warmer so they don't have to dig all those up in the fall and replant them in the spring. :D

I used to dig in fall and replant in spring, These cannas I brought home from Lebanon Tn and they didn't dig them up, so I tried not digging and didn't lose any due to cold temps, and they multiply quick and produce many seeds.

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Really?! That's awesome. Then I would totally like to get a couple of those root bulbs! I sent you a PM so let me know what you think

Status
Not open for further replies.