Hibiscus plant problems HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
i guys (to mods please move this if this part of the thread is not the appropriate place, didn't know where to start this )

I've notice my Hibiscus looking like this...

IMG_2017 by chinadoll, on Flickr

IMG_2009 by chinadoll, on Flickr

IMG_2011 by chinadoll, on Flickr

IMG_2014 by chinadoll, on Flickr

IMG_2015 by chinadoll, on Flickr

I've googled but i cannot find anything, all I can find is too much sun which i don't think is the case. I decided to ask here because I don't want to treat it with anything unsafe to tort, it's her food after all.

Angi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
La Mesa, CA.
I have no clue. My hibiscus get a ton of sun and that does not happen. Take a leaf to Home Depot. They moght be able to help if you don't get help here.
Good luck:)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It just looks to me like you have a hibiscus with variegated leaves. These are meant to look like that and are valued by some people. Try a GOOGLE search for variegated hibiscus and see what comes up.

geekinpink

5 Year Member
hmm..sure i'll do some more research, it's just that when i got this plant, there were some bugs on it, I even found 2 caterpillars eating away the leaves. I was told to use water with soap to get rid of those white bugs instead of insecticides. That's why i thought there might be some virus or bacteria turning the leaves like this. But i did notice even the new growth are coming out like this.

i'm a little reluctant to give it to my tort now, although there are no more bugs and worms.

Oh wow, Yvonne i think you might be right, I found some yahoo pics and they look exactly the same, i never knew! I wonder if it's fine to feed it to my tort still?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know why not. Its just a lack of pigment, and should have no effect on the nutrition of the leaf.

Traveller

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Yep just a variegated form of a normal hibiscus.
I'd feed it if it was mine for sure.
Yvonne has it right just a lack of pigment, but apparently
this form needs more light to do well.
Beautiful plant by the way, wonder what color the flowers
will be?

geekinpink

5 Year Member
The flowers are red, unfortunately my tort was scared of red flowers, any red flowers i put, roses, or hibiscus (we call it gumamela by the way) her eyes grow big and she walks away :/ but i kept giving it to her now she eats it yay! :)

flowers looks the same as an ordinary hibiscus :)

Status
Not open for further replies.