HIBISCUS TILIACEUS VARIEGATA

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Honolulu
Has anyone found this strain of hibiscus? In looking at the database of Hawaiian plants, itʻs related to Hau which is an edible plant. This came up as another species of Hau, not to be confused with Hao. Here is a picture that I found

1625096877944.png

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
While there are several variegated species of Hibiscus here on the eastern mainland coast, the whole leaf shape is different. That is a very attractive plant.
Do you think this is edible? Sorry for not posting that earlier - Iʻm still on the hunt for plants here to feed my guys. Iʻve noticed several other strains mentioned that are edible, but nothing on this one. The Honolulu Zoo feeds curly hau to their tortoises but they grow it on-site - hmmm wonder if I could go and pinch a stem to grow?

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Really attractive plant - I’d grow one if I ever found it for sale. I don’t have this species yet at all. Generally hibiscus are pretty easy to root from cuttings.

As far as tortoise food, should be edible, I believe all hibiscus are non toxic. However, variegated plants typically grow much slower than the green varieties of the same species. So, it might not grow fast enough to harvest much food from.

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
Really attractive plant - I’d grow one if I ever found it for sale. I don’t have this species yet at all. Generally hibiscus are pretty easy to root from cuttings.

As far as tortoise food, should be edible, I believe all hibiscus are non toxic. However, variegated plants typically grow much slower than the green varieties of the same species. So, it might not grow fast enough to harvest much food from.
Itʻs growing wild at my school, and since fertilizer and pesticides are not allowed on any school property, I can be sure that itʻs safe. Thanks for all the info, Nibbles and Snoopy now have a new food source!

Attachments

• IMG_2847.jpg
    IMG_2847.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2846.jpg
    IMG_2846.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 24

Snoopy’s mom

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Honolulu
No. someone alerted us to a tort that had been run over, but it turned out to be a turtle. :confused:

There are stories about torts turning up weeks later, so we'll keep hoping. On a positive note, Nibbles likes the leaves from the plants at school.
No luck at all?? I'm bummed.