Hibiscus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
This is a Hibiscus plant right? and if so does it look healthy enough to feed it to my tortoise?

Thank you :)

Attachments

• 1104001336.jpg
    1104001336.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 95

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Looks like hibiscus to me.

as long as it's an established plant and you know no chemicals have been used on it, it should be fine to feed

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Very much edible and the blooms are especially well loved around here.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That does not look like hibiscus to me. Leaves are too small, too rounded and too light colored. The flowers look kind of right, but I can't tell. Can you post a close up of a flower and some leaves to be sure.

If it is hibiscus, the leaves and flowers are edible.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Definately need a closer picture from the picture i DONT' think it is hibiscus either..
It could be toxic..
Does it look like this?
This is toxic I had it I'd here before (do not feed)
IMG_7797-vi.jpg

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If you zoom in on the flowers they look right. the plant itself looks older and in need of some care. water?
But a better, clearer pic closer up would be safe..

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Better to be safe and post another picture, but from what I see it's a hibiscus for sure. You can see the little "stem" things coming out of the middle of the flowers.

jagsrule100

10 Year Member!
Florida
I took that picture on my phone, sorry guys i'll get a better one tomorrow.

Shelli - The plant i have does not look like that, those leaves are just rounded. The picture below is not my plant, but the leaves look just like it.

Attachments

• bt0183.jpg
    bt0183.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 39

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
hibiscus. indeed. RV LOVES(!) the flowers, we've not tried the leaves.. We had a beautiful hibiscus, but a bad freeze killed it one year. We've tried to plant 3 more without success. So we get hibiscus flowers from RV's tort-sitter.

teri

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The pic in post #11 is definitely hibiscus. So if that what yours looks like, you should be all set.

onarock

5 Year Member
Hawaii
Yes its hibiscus and yes the leaves and the flowers are edible. My tortoises love it. I have a bunch of hibiscus around my house and the leaves can vary a bit. I notice that the ones around my house that get full sun usually have a broader leaf and the nodes tend to stack closer compared to the ones that are growing right up against my house under the eves that usually have skinny leaves and stretch out growth between the nodes. - Will It Ever Stop Raining -aloha-

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is and it is tasty most tortoises I know love the flowers, (red seem to taste the best) and the leaves are edible but not all torts will eat them. Also some hibiscus have a peppery taste to them and some don't it is not harmful it is just that some won't eat the "spicier" flowers. You should see the looks sometimes when I am tasting the flowers to see if they are the peppery ones in the nursery.

Shelli

5 Year Member
Antigua West Indies
Well i'm glad you could match it, the leaves looked kind of round in the phone pic... lol..

I would say i'm jealous.. but well I'm moving myself and at our new bedroom window is the biggest Hibiscus tree bush I have ever seen with big beautiful red flowers...
However Jaba wont eat the flowers although maybe she will eat fresh ones, the ones I always get her are always wilted by the time I get them home.. but she can smell a hibiscus leaf from a mile away and will literally run over to eat one... lol...

When we were looking around the new place I was like' Ooooooo this is handy'... lol...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Shelli said:
However Jaba wont eat the flowers although maybe she will eat fresh ones, the ones I always get her are always wilted by the time I get them home.. but she can smell a hibiscus leaf from a mile away and will literally run over to eat one... lol...

:D It's amazing how different all our tortoises can be from each other, mine love the blooms but leaves are considered "yucky" around here.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.