Hibiscus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKCARDANDCOIN

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
I want to purchase some hibiscus seeds to plant for my sulcata.I went online and there are so many different types of hibiscus that I did not know what one to purchase! Are all types of hibiscus safe for torts to eat? Any help would be great!Thanks,tom.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Tom, Yes as far as I have researched all types of hibiscus are safe for torts to eat (flowers and leaves) thought they often have a preference especially to the color of the flower. If you live in cold weather the hardy variety like the Rose of Sharon would be good for you. If you live where it is warmer like Fl. or CA a tropical or hardy variety would be fine. I live in So CA and get my plants from home depot or Lowes. They all seem to do well here but Check the ones you are intending to buy and make sure if you need the hardy variety what temp they can get down to. Some I know go as low as 20 degrees.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
It is recommended the plants be organic, or left without pesticides for 3-6 months before feeding. I'm also in the market for a hibiscus! My personally thought is to wait until they are available near me, to get one already started as I'm not good with plants. If I can't feed it for awhile oh well.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Kate, thanks for adding that. Yes I bought my plants some time ago and they went almost 6 months before I fed them to my torts now I have 9 plants left. I lost 4 this winter to our crazy weather.

Just Hatched

5 Year Member
Florida
I learned something new about Hibiscus last summer that I thought I'd share. You can take clippings from them and they will root in water and will also bloom while still in the vase. I grow all mine this way because I can never find organic soil and believe it or not, I can't get them to grow outside in Florida.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
If the plant freezes.. will the roots survive if somewhat protected? I guess I will find out this spring!

tortelini

5 Year Member
Newberg, OR
Yes, hibiscus as well as most flowering bushes can be propagated this way. My father and grandmother are the green thumbs of my family,they can get just about anything to root in a glass on the windowsill. Sadly, I didn't inherit this trait...just a love for plants! I turned out to be the horticulturist by profession lol :p

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Just Hatched said:
I learned something new about Hibiscus last summer that I thought I'd share. You can take clippings from them and they will root in water and will also bloom while still in the vase. I grow all mine this way because I can never find organic soil and believe it or not, I can't get them to grow outside in Florida.

Is this true of all of them? Or only the harder stemmed ones?

tortelini said:
My father and grandmother are the green thumbs of my family,they can get just about anything to root in a glass on the windowsill. Sadly, I didn't inherit this trait...just a love for plants!
Sounds like my Grandmother. :) I too didn't inherit from my Grandmother.:( I can't seem to grow plants from seeds or houseplants. Do find outside if started plants are used...and of course I grow wonderful weeds. :D

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I don't know if this will work or not but if they are frozen, then try cutting them down and give them time to grow back? Just a thought, I did that last spring to a robalini that had frozen, it grew back. But I do not have a green thumb, the only thing that lives for me is weeds, luckly hubby keeps the rest alive :)

As far as Hibiscus, I bought mine at home depot (5 gallon) for 5 bucks or less and I planted them outside of the enclosures and didn't feed them for a few months, just a thought. Or planted them and block them off until ready to serve.

Just Hatched

5 Year Member
Florida
Jacqui said:
Just Hatched said:

Is this true of all of them? Or only the harder stemmed ones?

tortelini said:
I'm not sure if this would pertain to all varieties, but mine are woody.

Status
Not open for further replies.