HICCUP Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Well we brought home a sweet little Russian (boy?) last night.
"Calvin" (I am guessing about 6 months old).

He is doing better than I thought, I'd expected him to hide and kind of stay in his shell when we entered the room etc. But he seems quite curoius and is eating already...I have several items coming from HerpSupplies.com and Novalson from Pet America. He is technically set up "correctly", but they had some really neat hides etc.

Anyway, DO RUSSIAN TORTOISES GET HICCUPS? (could this be a seizure choking etc etc etc?)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:(:(
Calvin was eating his salad, I went in 15 minutes later and he'd moved to his cool hide and had his fron and rear legs outstretched a bit with his head about halfway out and was rhythmically bobbing for several minutes...it looked just like hiccups...

I did a search and couldn't find anything...but if I missed it, I apologize:shy:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hmmm am wondering if this is just the normal head bobbing that some do? Normally it's a male and part of the sexual ritual, but others do it too. He stopped doing it and had no troubles going on, so I would just watch and see if it happens again.

Geez already a paranoid Mom thinking seizures and stuff and she has only had him for a day!...lol:D Just have to tease you, believe me we all are like this at times. Calvin has himself a great Mommy.

Actually I remember this summer reading about somebody else who thought their's had hiccups...was a Russian too. Not sure if they ever decided what it was. I am still going to vote with it's the normal head bobbing.

P.S. Nothing to apologize for. It's sometimes good to even repeat questions in here, but to my knowledge nobody has asked it before in here. All questions should be asked, no matter how many times they have been answered or how "stupid" you may think they are. This is a place for all of us to learn and to share...and to laugh at ourselves and each other.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Thank you;)

I have to say that since our 8 year old son has chosen this little guy and he is already snuggling with him the momma worry increases!

I would hate for anything to happen to this little one because I felt too dumb to ask:shy:

barbie69

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Ohio
I have Hermans torts and they do that when they are trying to poo. I can't say that is what he was doing but hermanns take baths, and when they are soaking they will stretch out their legs and bob their heads and poo and pee.lol
Hopefully it is as simple as this and not anything like a seizure:(. Let us know how he is doing.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
The vet said, "just watch for it again." (really helpful)

I have to say that the peeing and or male head bobbing both seem like what may have been happening. I would kind of think if there was something more serious like a seizure etc. that he would have looked dazed during and after?

He has eaten a couple times since and did not repeat the "bobbing"...I have the food so tiny that I can't imagine he could choke, but it still is worrisome in the beginning.

(On a side note. I think he is older than the guy at the store thought.)

Thanks everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.