Hide ideas for tort table that aren't hideous

Clementine

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern, USA
I was wondering what most of you are using for a hide as your tort grows, but is still small enough to be in the under the bed tote? We've recently moved Igloo to our living room since it retains a more steady temp during the winter months. He has outgrown the ceramic hide I made for him - so we made a temporary switch to a cardboard box but it looks awful and I'm worried it blocks heat from the CHE instead of transferring and holding the warmth like a ceramic hide does. Any ideas that would look better than a cardboard box?

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
I'm assuming your tort is pretty small if its in an under the bed bin.. ^.^ We have used clay pots, half-logs, reptile hides from pet stores (little caves and such), and bend-a-bridges (usually found in small animal/rodent supplies).

1388364190944.jpg
1388364145785.jpg

We recently got ^this^ new cave thing that I really like the look of, and my little one loves crawling on top of. It was about 7 dollars at petco.

Last edited by a moderator:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Here is a relatively cheap and easy hide to make . Some 2x4, 1/2 sheet plywood , couple hinges. Ceramic socket and tin heat shield ….couple cans of spray paint. What’s nice is the lid lifts up for easy access . This one also has a pitched lid ( roof) for water run-off. You can install castors on it as well and roll it around to where you want it to sit that day.

And yet another version ( built with old doors) same concept …except this one actually resides in their hut.

TORTOISE COVE'

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
For tort tables and indoor habitats, I like the look of the buried or cave-type hiding places. You can use anything waterproof and just pile up and cover it with substrate so all that shows is the opening.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I always used small plastic tote boxes. Sometimes it was Tupperware that we could no longer find the lid for. Just cut out a doorway and, like Yvonne suggested, partially bury it in the substrate and cover the top. Stayed warm and moist and mostly dark.