Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanp15

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Great Yarmouth, UK
outside tortoise hides

do people have ones similar to rabbit hutches?

is it true that it should be a couple of times bigger than your tortoise as this is how they will feel most comfortble?

I'm about to build a new one! :D

thanks for any help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I built Dudley's (100lb male sulcata) out of cinder blocks lined with styrofoam sheet insulation then plywood. I made the outside dimension 8'x4' to make it easier to cut the plywood, etc. That was about 5 years ago. Over the years, Dudley has made his house start looking like the leaning tower in Italy. And after watching him over the years, I realize that 4'x8' is too big, even though he's pretty big! So this summer I'm going to tear down that house and build one out of plywood and 2'x4' studs and insulation...just like a regular house or shed structure. And, I'm going to make it half as big. It will be easier to keep warm in the winter if smaller.

One thing to keep in mind for an outdoor enclosure is place it in the shade. No matter what kind of "house" you build for your tortoise, if its in the sun it will eventually be a little oven.

Yvonne

ryanp15

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great Yarmouth, UK

yep i think i'll do something similar. I'll raise it off the ground a little aswell. He has got a hide at the moment but I thought it looked too big, he's only a meditteranean spur thighed :)

i don't think i'll be insulating it, it'll be filled with straw and he should hibernate in the winter anyway, or go in the viv. Does this sound ok?

Hope Dudley's house goes well!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
ryanp15 said:
i don't think i'll be insulating it, it'll be filled with straw and he should hibernate in the winter anyway, or go in the viv. Does this sound ok?

Hope Dudley's house goes well!

As long as you put it in the shade, even a little dog house or dogloo would be good enough for your little guy.

When I get started on my "Dudley" project, I'll take pictures.

Yvonne

ryanp15

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great Yarmouth, UK
oh yes i forgot to say, it's definately going in the shade, you can sort of see the house (in progress) on my other thread.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
:D Terry, that is exactly what I am trying to locate around here for my Redfoot enclosure! :D

ryanp15

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Great Yarmouth, UK
the rocks look like a good idea :D

I've cut all my bits of wood, ready to screw together :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I found the rock in K-Mart here. Someone on another forum showed how they cut out a little doorway, and that 's where I got the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.