Hides

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
So I've heard a lot of different things on here about hides, but I've only hear people saying don't use this or that.
I currently have one of those half logs, its getting small for 'Nank because he's grown since I got him. So when I upgrade his house later to a large tote I plan to upgrade his "furniture" too. I've heard logs aren't good hides and I've also heard plant pots aren't good hides because they like to feel enclosed and secure. So if both of those don't do that then what do you use? or is a plant pot good? I like to think he likes his log... well he mostly likes climbing it and diving or going under it standing up and walking it around the tank (yes I've caught him in the act and almost DIED laughing). Flower pot will probably be better at staying in place during his "redecorating" episodes. What do all you use/create?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
I'll need more info. What type of tortoise, age, indoor or outdoor?
If indoor, open top or enclosed chamber-type?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I'll need more info. What type of tortoise, age, indoor or outdoor?
If indoor, open top or enclosed chamber-type?
Aw man I completely forgot the most importatnt stuff!! Whoops haha. He's an adult (~7) Russian currently transitioning from a very unhappy open top 20gal tank to an about 3.5'x2' wooden table (still small yes but that's a whole other problem) I plan to keep the table open top too (just with a wire top for his safety from climbing and the cat). He does have an outside enclosure too that's 6x6 in our old sandbox that he gets use of in the summer and he mostly just hides in all the covered corners. But i'm open to using better hides outside too.

JJ

5 Year Member
Bristol
If he likes the logs let him have logs. Mine has a large log in his open bit of the tort table which he likes to hide and walk under/climb and sit on top of,and quite a small one in his "bedroom" area surrounded by deeper substrate.

Funnily enough he has decided that tonight he would dig down under it and do a Houdini. I thought he had done a runner!

Do what he likes as they all have their own personalities and preferences.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Russian tortoises like to bury themselves in the substrate. So, if you provide a nice house for him chances are he's going to dig UNDER it to hide in the dirt. So about 6" of substrate indoors and he'll be a happy camper.

747117wei24kafiu.gif

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to use black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. They only cost $1.82. Flip it, cut out a door hole, and you've got a great hide. If you want it to be a humid hide, wet the substrate under it.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
image.jpg I like my cardboard box, with hand-crafted custom stone design. I have the top covered with a heavier layer of cardboard and they last for many weeks. Easy to upsize as required.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Plant pots are fine when they are the right size. I use them when they've broken in half, so they can dig under as deep as they like.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I like to use black dishwashing tubs from Walmart. They only cost $1.82. Flip it, cut out a door hole, and you've got a great hide. If you want it to be a humid hide, wet the substrate under it.

You can also bury it to make a raised climbing mound if you are so inclined.

I don't like plant pots because I feel like the tortoises feel like they are too open. because they taper, there is too much wide open mouth for my liking. They also retain no extra humidity when open like that, and I prefer to use humid hides for most of my tortoises.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Plant pots are fine when they are the right size. I use them when they've broken in half, so they can dig under as deep as they like.
Do you break them in half in a specific way or are they garden oops reused, and aren't the sides sharp do you file them smooth?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Depending on how I build this enclosure I may build something like the tub as a little "loft" with a ramp (all ledges blocked so he couldn't jump) and keep it more humid with a closed top. Since I have to very much have to build with getting the most space out of little area as possible. This may be a really good idea for outside though where space is of no shortage, and the climbing he'd very much enjoy, he indeed fits the Russian rough stuff classification, climbing anything is his favorite activity, he climbs more than burrows :)

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They are garden disasters. That way I get to continue to enjoy my decorative pots when they no longer hold plants. I use both unglazed & glazed, depending on what's around. I'd file edges if they were splintery or particularly sharp but I don't usually bother.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
They are garden disasters. That way I get to continue to enjoy my decorative pots when they no longer hold plants. I use both unglazed & glazed, depending on what's around. I'd file edges if they were splintery or particularly sharp but I don't usually bother.
I'd end up filing mine, since I know all too well how reckless 'Nank is and that he would definitely manage to hurt himself if at all possible... I'm still not sure how faceplanting off his log everyday doesn't faze him in the least! If I have room I want to offer both and see what he likes most, but I'll probably offer a little of everything outside :) cant say we have garden disasters though, I think my mum stopped using real pots from us being children and never really upgraded back haha theres still an occasional fall and dirt everywhere!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Russian tortoises like to bury themselves in the substrate. So, if you provide a nice house for him chances are he's going to dig UNDER it to hide in the dirt. So about 6" of substrate indoors and he'll be a happy camper.

747117wei24kafiu.gif
I've gotta say Franklin seems to enjoy climbing more than digging, except when he freaks out and digs at a corner (which i'm hoping the size upgrade will help with). I have about 4 inches of soil currently, but when I have the new enclosure made I plan to allow for 6-8 to see if he really is a burrower like all Russians seem to be.. once when he was still in mulch and under my dads watch while I was on a weekend trip, and he went to feed him in the morning... only he wasn't there, dad couldn't figure it out with the tank having a very secure cover and all, turned out it was the first and only time he ever completely buried himself! I'll probably provide some sort of hide since if not I see him focusing his digging under his water dish which is already messy!

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts

I don't like plant pots because I feel like the tortoises feel like they are too open. because they taper, there is too much wide open mouth for my liking. They also retain no extra humidity when open like that, and I prefer to use humid hides for most of my tortoises.
Also, in considering the humid hide thats generally like the one you describe, i'm going to need a way to heat it in the winter, what kinds of heaters do you/others use other than bulbs/ceramics? I know the rocks are bad news and I have a tank side heater I used when his water was getting cold in the winter, but that wouldn't really work would it? I just know cold and moist is bad. I've searched and read about coils ropes and all sorts of things but i'm not sure about what would safely heat the substrate and air.. or when the substrate heated would it keep the humid air warm too? I don't wanna screw up this winter and give the little guy a URI. This may be a whole new topic I should have opened but its all kind of related to my original question, humid hides just confuse me, since for the first year I had franklin I was determined humidity was bad and have discovered that's way different than the real case!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use closed chambers. The humid hide is in the chamber. When I heat the chamber, the hide gets heated too. I use CHEs on thermostats 24/7 to maintain ambient. Then I use a basking lamp on a timer during the day to make a warm area. I've never heated a hide.

This system works for any species and any level of humidity or temperature. The basic premise is to keep the air I want INSIDE the tortoises living space, and keep the air I don't want, out. The air inside can be easily maintained at any temp or humidity.

This system also uses a fraction of the electricity of an open system and in my experience the tortoises all do better with the stability of the chamber.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I use closed chambers. The humid hide is in the chamber. When I heat the chamber, the hide gets heated too. I use CHEs on thermostats 24/7 to maintain ambient. Then I use a basking lamp on a timer during the day to make a warm area. I've never heated a hide.

This system works for any species and any level of humidity or temperature. The basic premise is to keep the air I want INSIDE the tortoises living space, and keep the air I don't want, out. The air inside can be easily maintained at any temp or humidity.

This system also uses a fraction of the electricity of an open system and in my experience the tortoises all do better with the stability of the chamber.
Closed chambers with holes for the lights and CHEs? I still have one of the red heat lights, I know theyre not recommended here but I've always been intimidated by CHEs and the hot spots they can develop and how 'Nanks's never seemed bothered (yeah I know, seems and reality can be different) by the red, but I know its less powerful for what it does too. I'll definitely look into closed chambers, it makes since since 'Nank's room is in our finished basement where it doesn't get cold but its still not as warm as other places. Seems like it would save a lot of energy, and be guaranteed protection from my cat instead of the wire I was going to put up.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Holes let your air equalize with the room air. I don't put holes in my closed chamber. Wouldn't be very "closed" with holes all over it. :)

I put the heating and lighting equipment INSIDE the enclosure. All of the heat generated by my bulbs stay INSIDE the enclosure where I want it, instead of drifting up and into the room. Lights set on top of an enclosure create a chimney effect and draw the air inside the enclosure up and out while replacing it with room air.

Here are my closed chambers. I made mine humid by adding water. I could jut as easily left it dry by NOT adding water, but still gained the benefits of environmental and temperature stability.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/closed-chambers.32333/

thetedster

Riverside, CA
This forum is a great deal of help. I hate to keep asking this but can hides only have the one opening? Can my tortoise breathe with just a small opening at one end? My store bought half a log is up against the the wall of his house. What I am seeing/reading here is that it is okay to do this. I think I have read so much I really can't remember the answer. Please help. Thanks