High Orange Yniphora and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

moswen

5 Year Member
onarock said:
LOL. OH hey. Why dont you all look at my pics of Super Exotics, some of wich you cant keep in the states, frolicking around on my patio. Unreal! Nice animals

haha oh my goodness my thoughts exactly!!

why don't you just pull up in my driveway in a rolls royce and hand me the keys.... to my own car that i accidentally dropped. that's how i feel right now. jealous!! what beautiful animals!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
They are nice :) just wish they were back on Madagascar. :(

No I'm afraid that Astrochelys yniphora are highly illegal in Thailand. None of them were brought in legally as it's illegal for them to leave any country they are in. Whether that be their native Madagascar or Germany or The Seychelles.

Danny

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
egyptiandan said:
They are nice :) just wish they were back on Madagascar. :(

No I'm afraid that Astrochelys yniphora are highly illegal in Thailand. None of them were brought in legally as it's illegal for them to leave any country they are in. Whether that be their native Madagascar or Germany or The Seychelles.

Danny

Ah, a real pity. Instead of smuggling, Madagascar shd have licensed and bred their
Tortoises and then sold them to the world. But then you'll hear of how poor their country is and they lack the funds... Not to mention food to feed their ppl and they resorted to eating wildlife. Disastrous cycle.

narattah

5 Year Member
Bangkok, Thailand
CGKeith said:
They all look very smooth, no pyramiding. Can you tell us how they are housed? What the diets are?

I know your humidity will naturally be high. Just wondering about the other conditions involved with raising them that smooth.

Lots of discussion on other parts of the forums here about pyramiding and how to avoid it.

Thanks for your input.

It depends as some are housed outdoor and keep them indoor at night. The weather here is very hot and humid (65-85% humidity). They don't really get any extra care more than any other kinds of tortoises though so I'm not sure about how they all get smooth shells. In fact, I have never seen any pyramided ones.

About the diets, they are fed grasses, water morning glory, bok choy, lettuce etc.

ISTortoiseLover said:
narattah said:
ISTortoiseLover said:
Really nice tortoises, would love to visit thailand one day! Its like a haven for rare tortoises! You guys seem to be doing a pretty good job with the animals too. :)

Yeah, tortoises is a big market in Thailand. It's really easy to obtain them here. :)

By the way, that high orange one goes for like $6,000+ here, crazy.

Wow, thats really interesting to know. Is it perfectly legal there to purchase protected species and such? Any permits/license required?

As Egyptiandan said, it's not legal worldwide, but still many people privately have them in possession here. :p

gummybearpoop said:
I love all the Astrochelys (Radiata & Yniphora) photos! Thanks for sharing.

I would pay $6,000 for that Yniphora if it were legal here in the states.

Lol, you guys are filthy rich!
For $6,000, I'd rather get 4 Aldabras for the same price :D

Anyway, a typical Yniphora baby (2-3") here costs only around $800 here so it's really worth raising it if you can afford it.

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
narattah said:
Lol, you guys are filthy rich!
For $6,000, I'd rather get 4 Aldabras for the same price :D

Anyway, a typical Yniphora baby (2-3") here costs only around $800 here so it's really worth raising it if you can afford it.

Hahaha far from rich, but I would sell all my tortoises just to get a pair.

Someone told me babies are 700-1000. I wish they were legal and available in the states.

narattah

5 Year Member
Bangkok, Thailand
I believe there must be some people in the states who secretly and privately keep them.

I don't know, but the babies aren't all that hardy though

gummybearpoop

10 Year Member!
Arizona
"I believe there must be some people in the states who secretly and privately keep them."

I believe the same. If they are breeding them, the general public would never know.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It would definately help the species if Madagascar was putting more effort into breeding A. yniphora. That would though not stop smuggling as it still would be illegal to ship animals out of Madagascar. As part of CITES Madagascar has to follow the rules. A. yniphora are CITES I animals, so can't legally be shipped out of whatever country they reside in. The CITES I designation makes it impossible to supply the world with hatchling from any country. This applys to all CITES I animals.

Danny

cueboy007

5 Year Member
Ontario
franeich said:
I don't know, but the babies aren't all that hardy though

I've heard the same thing that they are not as hardy as radiated, I can't live with the idea that they could die on me, I'd much rather get radiated, :)
Beautiful specimens, they look like mini soccer balls.

Sweetness_bug

5 Year Member
MICHIGAN
Love the pics! Very nice and unique looking torts! Absolutly Beautiful !! You are very lucky :)

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
does madagascar at elast have a breeding program for them? or are the ones that do get out lucky and they only chance of species survival if something should go wrong?
If they had them and sold them, then that would be one wa to get money into the area..
backwards....

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Laura said:
does madagascar at elast have a breeding program for them? or are the ones that do get out lucky and they only chance of species survival if something should go wrong?
If they had them and sold them, then that would be one wa to get money into the area..
backwards....

I was talking to my vet about this. He said there was a guy in Madagascar breeding a large group of ploughshares. They weren't breeding to supply the world with tortoises only to ensure the species survival. Anyway, he told me that the person who was doing this had a lot if not all of the tortoises stolen, so at current I'm not sure if there is any breeding program for them, at least not publicly. I believe the guy who was doing the program has some youtube videos.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Great article Danny! Do you know about what my vet was refering to?

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
Yes I do :D

It wasn't all the animals, but somewhere around 75 animals were stolen from the breeding project a few years ago. Most were young animals but 2 were adult females (the adult females popped up in Germany). I think only around a quarter of them were found and returned.

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.