HIGH WHITE LEOPARD TORTOISE

Status
Not open for further replies.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amish Country
I know that a lot of people like "high white, or reduced black leopards. Many are advertised as such, sometimes charging a premium. The fact is, they're all high white at certain times. White is the first color that appears in their new growth. So at selling time, they very well could be predominately white. I'm not saying that there's no such thing as a high white adult, just that probably 95% of those advertised as such are simply normal colored leopards (or will be). Here are a couple of pics of one of mine. I got a lot of compliments on my High white leopard when he was younger. But he's not a kid anymore.
First pic 2/12----second pic today

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What has your husbandry been like during the life of this tortoise? Has it always been the same, or did you...for instance...move him to an outdoor enclosure when he got to a certain size?

I'm sure you've heard some say that shell color is dependent upon their environmental conditions. That's a pretty distinct pattern change on this particular tortoise, and I would be curious if it was influenced by a change of husbandry.

I do agree with you that most leopards advertised as high white end up being normal colored leopards. It's funny sometimes, I'll see this advertised on leopards that are predominantly black, but have a new line of white growth.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
A couple of people have told me this as well. I don't know of any significant difference in his care. He probably was inside more as a hatchling just because of temperature extremes (which I am less concerned about now). I sold a male that was raised exactly the same, but had much more black at an early age than Hrothgar. So, I would be more inclined to say that his pattern hasn't been effected by husbandry. I wouldn't argue the point though, because I really don't know./
Neal said:
What has your husbandry been like during the life of this tortoise? Has it always been the same, or did you...for instance...move him to an outdoor enclosure when he got to a certain size?

I'm sure you've heard some say that shell color is dependent upon their environmental conditions. That's a pretty distinct pattern change on this particular tortoise, and I would be curious if it was influenced by a change of husbandry.

I do agree with you that most leopards advertised as high white end up being normal colored leopards. It's funny sometimes, I'll see this advertised on leopards that are predominantly black, but have a new line of white growth.

kanalomele

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
East Bay area
How old was he in the first photo. I have noticed most "high whites" being sold at around 8-9 months. Does that seem like the opportune age for this predominantly light growth?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Man, that's a pretty tortoise. I love the way he has matured...its almost as distinctive and the earlier 'high white' condition.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1379613998.421002.jpg My leopard tortoise circa 6 years

Uk bred leopard

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I always wanted a high white. They are usually pricier then a reg leopard. If they turn out to be the same, I don't think I will waist my money. Not saying buying a leopard is a waist, I LOVE them, you know what I mean though, right?:D

Btw, both pics are beautiful torts:)

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Yagyujubei, you have raised an outstandingly beautiful Leopard! Do you have anymore pictures of this beaut? How many months is s/he? I sure hope Mickey, turns out as beautiful as yours! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.