High yellow Pyxis Arachnoides

juli11

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Europe
Thank you all.

Im having hard time in feeding it. It only wants hibiscus and my hibiscus tree is dead few weeks ago so im stealing neighbour's. Lol

Need to introduce him to cactus, mushroom, mulberry leaves, etc

He is so pretty i can stare at him all day. Haha

Maybe a good way to introduce the animal in other food is to make a mix of different food. Important is that you first make a mix with minimum 50% of the food which he likes. On this way he eats the things which he currently doesn't like. With this mix I get my WC lobatsiana pair to eat everything. So maybe you make 50% of hibiscus and the rest you make mushrooms or something you want that he eats.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
So you're from the states right? This animal is WC from Madagascar right? Sorry sometimes I don't understand everything..
I know that there is an export forbade of all Madagascar tortoises. That's my problem too I want for so long time kinixys belliana domerguei so the subspecies of belliana in Madagascar but no chance.. Do you import the animal by yourself? Or did he imported by a special permission?

No im in indonesia.
Exportation of pyxis, radiated and yniphora are all forbidden due to CITES 1 regulation.

This one is illegally exported from madagascar. Not CB.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Maybe a good way to introduce the animal in other food is to make a mix of different food. Important is that you first make a mix with minimum 50% of the food which he likes. On this way he eats the things which he currently doesn't like. With this mix I get my WC lobatsiana pair to eat everything. So maybe you make 50% of hibiscus and the rest you make mushrooms or something you want that he eats.

Im trying to do this now.
Today i used tomato and she smartly ate only the tomato and left everything behind. Seems like she attracted only to red color.

But im guessing within 2 weeks time she should be used to eat other thing than hibiscus.

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1421339188.289305.jpg

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
View attachment 114380
Good here you can see an example for a mix of different foods. Very important is that you make the hibiscus in small pieces so that he has to eat other things if he wants the hibiscus..

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
No im in indonesia.
Exportation of pyxis, radiated and yniphora are all forbidden due to CITES 1 regulation.

This one is illegally exported from madagascar. Not CB.

I'm not the biggest friend of illegal exports from Madagascar you know that all population of tortoises there are very endangered!

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
I would't recommend feeding the tomato, or any fruit for that matter. Arachnoides don't eat any fruit in the wild, and Opuntia was only introduced to the Island roughly 300 years ago.

I think a good approach may be taking the hibiscus and chopping it extremely small, perhaps in a food processor, and mixing it with other healthy food items. This way, the tortoise can't choose what to eat and what to avoid.

Sad to see this happening, still.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
I would't recommend feeding the tomato, or any fruit for that matter. Arachnoides don't eat any fruit in the wild, and Opuntia was only introduced to the Island roughly 300 years ago.

I think a good approach may be taking the hibiscus and chopping it extremely small, perhaps in a food processor, and mixing it with other healthy food items. This way, the tortoise can't choose what to eat and what to avoid.

Haha yes that's what I mean.. A better explanation than mine..

michiganice91

5 Year Member

I was going to suggest attempting to feed it ripe, red, opuntia pears (if that's even obtainable over there) since he said it's only interested in red colored food. You seemed to indicate this wouldn't be the best idea so feel free to weigh in. Red leaf lettuce is the only other red thing I can think of that isn't junk food. Maybe try a variety of safe weeds and succulents to see what it likes. It should definitely like mushroom too as others mentioned.

Just wondering have you considered attempting to find anyone that would return this animal to the wild and reimburse you for the money you spent?

mitchellr

5 Year Member
Great news. She ate bunch of hibiscus leaves today. I guess i dont have to steal my neighbours' hibiscus flowers anymore

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422159604.055757.jpg

ChrisJohan

5 Year Member
Indonesia
Great news. She ate bunch of hibiscus leaves today. I guess i dont have to steal my neighbours' hibiscus flowers anymore

View attachment 115568
See I was just thinkin I could've sworn that I've seen this exact tortoise before... Now that you mentioned Indonesia it makes perfect sense cus I've seen him on someone's pet/online store in Jakarta. CMIIW but you didn't import him yourself did you? Cus I can never forget a beauty like that.

mitchellr

5 Year Member
See I was just thinkin I could've sworn that I've seen this exact tortoise before... Now that you mentioned Indonesia it makes perfect sense cus I've seen him on someone's pet/online store in Jakarta. CMIIW but you didn't import him yourself did you? Cus I can never forget a beauty like that.

Since you'r also a fellow indonesian so it is possible if you've seen her before. She's quite famous apparently among indonesian tortoise keepers. No i didnt import her myself.

KenS

10 Year Member!
New York
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1439703128.131912.jpg
Here's a pair of CBB PAA . I would say these are pretty yellow.