hind legs not working

Rmaiertortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Atlanta
Anyone dealt with this before? Have a 3 year old Hermann's that up until a week ago was super healthy. He hasn't been eating as much and has stopped using his back legs. I've been doing 45 minute warm water soaks the last 2 days in the hopes that if it's constipation, it would help. But he hasn't pooped in his water which is unusual. I'm wondering if the leg issue could be constipation, or if it's a vitamin deficiency. Just wanted to see if anyone else had experienced this. I am worried about him.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Do you have a UV light?
This is likely not an easily cured situation. It sounds like MBD caused by lack of calcium absorption.
Don't let a vet give him a "vitamin shot". But DO find a qualified vet ASAP.
And take photos of the animal, your enclosure, your lights, etc so that we can come up with our best theories.(in the meanwhile)

Rmaiertortoise

Atlanta
Do you have a UV light?
This is likely not an easily cured situation. It sounds like MBD caused by lack of calcium absorption.
Don't let a vet give him a "vitamin shot". But DO find a qualified vet ASAP.
And take photos of the animal, your enclosure, your lights, etc so that we can come up with our best theories.
Yes, I have a light I got from tortoisesupply that's on 12 hours/day. It's probably about 16-18 inches away from him. His shell isn't soft though so I'm not convinced it's a deficiency.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yes, I have a light I got from tortoisesupply that's on 12 hours/day. It's probably about 16-18 inches away from him. His shell isn't soft though so I'm not convinced it's a deficiency.
Depending on the lamp, that's very far away. If it's a coil or a T8 strip, there would be little to no UV at that distance. For a T5 it would be fine.
I'm not a vet and my guesses may or may not be correct.
I'd place him in a box and go directly to my vet for xrays and bloodwork.

Rmaiertortoise

Atlanta
Depending on the lamp, that's very far away. If it's a coil or a T8 strip, there would be little to no UV at that distance. For a T5 it would be fine.
I'm not a vet and my guesses may or may not be correct.
I'd place him in a box and go directly to my vet for xrays and bloodwork.
Husband says the light is around 12 inches away (guess my math is off, HA!) We will be going to the vet Tuesday if nothing has changed. A friend has a reptile vet within an hour so we will head there. Thank you for your responses!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Back leg paralysis is sometimes caused by pressure on the nerves. The pressure is sometimes caused by constipation, stones, egg bound, parasites.

Put the tortoise in a tub of deep water and see if he moves his back legs while trying to swim (of course, if he sinks, this 'fix' is no good and should be discontinued). If he moves his legs in deep water, then this water therapy will be good for him and you can do it daily until he gets his strength back.

Rmaiertortoise

Atlanta
Back leg paralysis is sometimes caused by pressure on the nerves. The pressure is sometimes caused by constipation, stones, egg bound, parasites.

Put the tortoise in a tub of deep water and see if he moves his back legs while trying to swim (of course, if he sinks, this 'fix' is no good and should be discontinued). If he moves his legs in deep water, then this water therapy will be good for him and you can do it daily until he gets his strength back.
I was trying to do warm soaks twice a day for 45 minutes to an hour. They didn't help. He was xrayed by the vet on Tuesday & things looked ok. He agreed MBD and I've got a new mercury vapor bulb in his tank (it had been awhile since I'd last replaced it). Hoping this helps. Thank you for your reply!

Rmaiertortoise

Atlanta
Oops, meant to say no he doesn't move his back legs, even in the water. It's been a crazy week so sorry I'm just back on here. The night I was driving back from the vet I blew a tire (with tortoise and baby in tow). That was just one day of this week
:rolleyes:

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I was trying to do warm soaks twice a day for 45 minutes to an hour. They didn't help. He was xrayed by the vet on Tuesday & things looked ok. He agreed MBD and I've got a new mercury vapor bulb in his tank (it had been awhile since I'd last replaced it). Hoping this helps. Thank you for your reply!
That type of bulb comes with it's own, serious issues.
I hate to keep being the member with the bad news and ways to spend even more money. But you seriously need a strip florescent for your UVB.
And a CHE for heat

Attachments

• 20200219_145404.jpg
    20200219_145404.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 4
  • 20200131_082139.jpg
    20200131_082139.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Rmaiertortoise

Atlanta
Please let us know what the vet says
Uric acid was slightly elevated ( I think it was 8-vet said under 5 is good). But his xray looked good. Good bones in front and back legs. He thinks MBD and slight dehydration (but from what I've read, 3 year old torts aren't supposed to have water even 3 times/week. I will up his water and replaced his bulb. We'll see. I'm hoping he turns a corner. He was chowing down on his salad today (I hand fed him so he didn't have to slowly crawl across the tank).

Rmaiertortoise

Atlanta
I wonder why the guy I got him from doesn't sell those bulbs then?
What are the MVB issues? At this point money isn't an issue-I just want my tort healthy again.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also, that water therapy mentioned in an above post seems to be pretty effective for gaining back leg strength.
I'd also provide drinking water 24/7.
Between that. Correct diet and a better UVB source your little guy can start to heal.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oops, meant to say no he doesn't move his back legs, even in the water. It's been a crazy week so sorry I'm just back on here. The night I was driving back from the vet I blew a tire (with tortoise and baby in tow). That was just one day of this week
:rolleyes:
Sorry.
It DOES get easier.....Soon.

Sa Ga

MN
Husband says the light is around 12 inches away (guess my math is off, HA!) We will be going to the vet Tuesday if nothing has changed. A friend has a reptile vet within an hour so we will head there. Thank you for your responses!
Love and best wishes for a ? outcome!

Please keep us posted ❤