Hinged back tortoise with damaged Carapace

norma.b

Location (City and/or State)
St Lucia ESTUARY KZN South Africa
Please does anyone have advice for me on how best to help an adult male hinged back tortoise that was injured and brought to a pet and bird farm that closed down and was later given to a friend that has a farm is the area. Actually she was given a female as well with scuffed carapace that peeled possibly damaged by mating or bullying, but seems ok now. Last photo. The first photos are of the injured male. Cracked carapace and a piece missing over left back leg. Possibly attacked and mauled by a dog. I put betadene on both originally then only coconut oil every time I soak them (3 times a week) and drizzle warm water over their backs. No reptile vets in our area. I have them in a walled in garden at present with hides and tortoise friendly plants. Lawn snd hides in sunny and shady areas. I have been bringing them indoors to overnight in a bathroom where I can run hot water to bring up snd heat the small room as well as an oil heater to keep temp at night around 22 degrees. I Check with a temp gun. There is no shelter where we can take them just a place that keeps about 7 mixed species together in a cement floored cage outdoors. No substrate. So don't think they know anything about tortoises. When I bring them in late afternoon I put them in a large kiddies pool with moistened coconut coir and fine orchard bark. I cove it with a plastic backed table cloth. This is a temp. arrangement as I know I can't keep them. Just trying to help. However the male will have to go to some decent shelter protected from predators as his leg is exposed. I have Neosporin. Should I use some on the male ? Or do you suggest I get a vet to euthanaise him ? He walks fine and eats and poops so don't think he is in pain. Please advise me if you can.20220624_122635.jpg20220624_122403.jpg20220624_122357.jpg20220624_121627.jpg20220624_121441.jpg

Attachments

• 20220611_121218.jpg
    20220611_121218.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't think the wound is fresh. It looks like it has healed as much as it's going to. If when outside there are no flies around the injury, it's not an open wound and nothing needs to be done about it. He's not in any pain.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
It's good of you to try to help them. Keep them separate or they will be stressed and may hurt each other more than they are already. I wish you good luck with finding them a good home. Please keep us posted!