His New Cage!!! You guys like it?!?!?!? (:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
His new cage!!!:) Is it missing anything? Or is it good?! And how long do you think this cage will be good for him?! :D There is a picture of his cage & Also a pic of him i took of him today! He grew soo much!
his new cage 5-5-13.jpg 5-5-13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Not a fan of the substrate, I personally would change it. As far as size for now it's alright but you will find them to grow quick. There's a thread of Someone who outlined their tortoises and a year later they grew quit a bit. But for now just substrate. Plan now for they future

Does he have an outdoor enclosure?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm going to assume you are not joking.

1. That cage might work for a hatchling for a while, but it's way too small for yours. Four of those would be on the small size for a sulcata that size.
2. That bedding is too dry. Is it dry coco coir or walnut? Walnut is not a good tortoise substrate. Serious impaction and mold risk.
3. Those water bowls are great for lizards and snakes, but they are literally death traps for tortoises.
4. The top is totally open. How are you retaining any heat or humidity?
5. Night heat?
6. He needs a proper humid hide.
7. I don't think he can even fit under that half log, can he?
8. I only see one fixture on top. What is in it?
9. What are your four temperatures in there? Warm side, cool side, basking and night?

I don't mean to be overly harsh, but no, it's not good. It needs some changes.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Yeah I just looked at the picture with the tortoise in it def to small, actually thought your guy was smaller. Easiest cheapest way to go is a tortoise table

Deac77

5 Year Member
I agree its way to small, and i agree the substrate is dangerous. My sulcata is about that size, he lives in a 110 gallon Water trough with coco fiber 2 heat lamps (day and night one being MVB) and then i also use a 2 foot long uvb tube bulb. the whole setup was only about 150$ the most expensive was the MVB maybe give that a try!

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
It is decorated nicely and I'm sure you took time to make that area. As others have said, the area is just too small and the substrate is not the right one. You can easily buy coco coir at a home store, that fills my 5foot tank, for 13$. As for the tank, look on cragslist. So many people are trying to get rid of theirs.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I'm sorry you received bad info on how to set up your enclosure. Glad your here and I hope you take what the others have said especially Tom. I'm assuming your here to learn how to best care for your tortoise and you came to the right place.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Please do what Tom replied. He is pyramiding and needs some humidity also.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Hi, if there is any item you bought that you can take back and exchange it for the right things, I would do that. If, you can't return the water dish and log, I would save the water dish for when your lil guy gets bigger. The log is something he can just barely get into since i see his back footpriints in the sand, but in a couple of weeks he won't be able to fit. If you can raise the log on each side, that may give you some more time, but not much.

It's expensive to keep a tortoise if you want to do a good job. That's why many here buy inexpensive Rubbermaid containers 50-60 gallons for baby torts, because they outgrow those things so fast. Also, you can get a plastic shoebox and cut out an end or side that your tort can get in. It's inexpensive, and can be replaced w/o breaking the bank. A plant saucer (bigger is better) is low enough that your baby can drink and self-bathe. The mix of organic soil and coco noir makes a great substrate. When moist, it can hold humidity better. You have just one bulb, so i don't know if it's a uvb light. If it is, then all you need is a ceramic heat emitter for nights when you turn off the light. Read Tom's threads for details on temps and humidity. Also, Tom gives great suggestions on what you need and how to save money on caring for your baby. Wish you the best, and don't forget to read Tom's thread below my name if you have a dog, plan to get a dog, or allow dogs to visit your home.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
Thanks guys.. and in the pic he looks alittle bit bigger, but yes i'm going to have to get him a new log because he almost cant fit under there. but I just brought what the pet store told me to buy and I guess none of it was right? ... :/ I had a green carpet type thing as bedding I was using for awhile could I change it back to that?! I have the lamb on alottt and I also take him outside everyday to get sunshine and exercise. I turn off his lamb at night and he has a heating pad for night time. As far as the water bowl he able to get in and out of it. I live in a apartment so its kinda hard to get a biggg cage. I understand I will have to get a bigger one but I just cant now because I don't have anywhere to put one. But I let him exercise everyday outside. Can you guys give me some food ideas?! Im giving him romaine lettuce, squash and kale. He eats a lot! Is there such thing as over feeding your tortoise?!
Thanks guys!

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I'd you don't have the space for a sulcata, then it wasn't the best choice in species of tortoise for you to get. You could return the tank you bought and easily build a tort table that works with what space you have. If you don't have space, make some....cus he needs more room already, and will only continue to grow.

BigD9

5 Year Member
Florida
theelectraco said:
I'd you don't have the space for a sulcata, then it wasn't the best choice in species of tortoise for you to get. You could return the tank you bought and easily build a tort table that works with what space you have. If you don't have space, make some....cus he needs more room already, and will only continue to grow.

I got him two years ago I wasn't planning on moving out into my own apartment. lol

Chinque

5 Year Member
Florida
I'm sorry, but I agree with Tom... It's just too small. Also, I have the same slate, soaking dish, and food bowl (I think...) as you! :)

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
BigD, what do plan to do in the next 6 months? Your living situation isn't gonna change, and your tort is growing more and more. What do plan to do then? The reason why I ask is because I know how much you love your tort. Would you consider letting someone who has the space and who knows what to do with sulcatas adopt your tort? Or, will you be willing to rent a house so that you can build him an outside enclosure in the backyard?

Status
Not open for further replies.