Hiya everyone :)

Bridie

Location (City and/or State)
England
Hello! I'm Bridie and I'm from England.

I have two Hermanns tortoises, one is a 4 year old female and the other is a 6 month old. They live together in a vivarium, despite the size difference they get on well, I often find the younger one burying herself under the older one. I've uploaded a photo of them sleeping together as its so cute! Hope you like.

I have a few questions to ask and can't wait to get going on this forum :)
IMAG0138.jpg IMAG0110.jpg

Last edited:

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Welcome and so nice to have you here.

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
Welcome, you can learn a lot here, I also have 2 but I've read it's not a good idea to just keep 2 together because of dominate stress, could cause the less dominate stress leading to illness and death.
Better 1 or more than 2 says Tom, read Tom's threads and you will learn a lot!

Nolan1992

If the little one turns out to be a male in the future, you're going to want to separate them or buy 2 or more females

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

It's not a good idea to allow the larger tortoise to sit on top of the younger one. The small tortoise's bones and shell are still pretty pliable and he could become flattened by the weight of the larger one. (I'm speaking from experience here - it has happened to me)

We have a very good care sheet on the Hermanni tortoise at the top of the Hermanns section.

474158gy04azrh2x.gif

Bridie

England
She does not sit on her, she younger one buries herself underneath by choice. I keep a very close eye on them though, the smaller one also has a small hut she can hide in away from the older one.
I understand when shes older it could cause issues but I'm looking to buy a much bigger vivarium soon, if I ever need to separate them I will :)

TortoiseWorld

5 Year Member
Lisle Illinois
I read that tortoises are sensitive, they have feelings, and just a dirty look of the eye or one being ignored by the other or even a head nod can cause stress, something about keeping more than 2 neutralizes this hierarchy? I'm in the same dilemma and unfortunately my kind cost $1200 each :(

Bridie

England
Well I'll make sure I keep a even closer eye on them. I weigh them regularly and have a chart of how they are growing. The younger one is growing steadily and has a huge appetite, I assume this is a sign that they are happy and healthy?

Nolan1992

Well I'll make sure I keep a even closer eye on them. I weigh them regularly and have a chart of how they are growing. The younger one is growing steadily and has a huge appetite, I assume this is a sign that they are happy and healthy?

How large is the enclosure they are in?

Bridie

England
The vivarium is about 6ft long. I have a big run for the older one to go outside on the grass to where she spends alot of time (the baby one doesn't go outside yet)

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the TFO from AZ . Have a great tort day !

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Hello and Welcome to TFO :) your torts look good but i do agree with Yvonne