Holding humidity

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
Thanks very much, Tom. I have a regular heat/UVA bulb that I believe is 65 or 75 watts that I could replace my MVB with, that I had no troubles with when it comes to humidity. I want to do what is best for my tortoise. I was worried if he was not out every day it would not be good for him without a UVB bulb but now that you say a few times a week that is definitely do-able for summers here in WI. (It has been very rainy this summer so I did not think I could get him out every day hence why I purchased the MVB to use this summer.) When we begin building a table for my tortoise I will make sure to follow your advice. I really appreciate your help! :)
Yeah, a 65 or 75 watt is definitely much better!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Down at my latitude, it has been my experience that 30 minutes of sunshine twice a week is enough to meet their UV needs. More is better, and you might need more that far North too. So with a few hours of outside time spread out over a week, you should be fine over the summer.

Be sure your outside enclosure has adequate shade so your tortoise doesn't cook. I also had good success burying a small wooden hide in my outdoor russian sunning enclosures and my small russians seemed to prefer that to digging.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Here is my enclosure right now. My new temperature readers are definitely more accurate and my husband is picking up one with a wireless probe today as well. I haven't been able to test the humidity/temperature on the basking/hot side with my MVB yet, so I will be able to do that today. I do realize after adding the proper water dish there is less room, so my husband and I are building a nice new enclosure for him as we speak. :) Thanks for all the help once again!

Attachments

• IMG_0486.JPG
    IMG_0486.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 10

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I never use the probe kind, but I know many people do. I just use my temperature gun. Good luck on the new enclosure!!

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Where do you live? Some places we are sun starved and need every available photon.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
Ok update, with the proper temperature readers my 160 watt bulb is 1 foot and 5 inches hanging above my tank and it is 91 degrees underneath it. My digital thermometer is sitting on the substrate. Is this STILL incorrect? My cool side says 77.

Tyanna

Wisconsin
He still is mostly keeping one eye closed and the other one is looking a little watery. I'm still going to switch it out for a way lower wattage.