Hole getting bigger on Opo's shell.

Jannra

Location (City and/or State)
Canadian Prairie
If a vet checks that it is all clean with no infection you should be able to give it a small epoxy seal so it can heal without getting worse. Check wirh a vet furst. It needs to be clean before it can be sealed. I've had aquatic turtles for 20 years. Once a hole is clean it heals better if it is sealed.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
If a vet checks that it is all clean with no infection you should be able to give it a small epoxy seal so it can heal without getting worse. Check wirh a vet furst. It needs to be clean before it can be sealed. I've had aquatic turtles for 20 years. Once a hole is clean it heals better if it is sealed.
Thank you!

JNSNannahenson170

Saginaw TX

motero

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I have an adopted female with similar shell growth, I think the growth line got slightly burned at some point. To close of a heat source. The gap between the scutes continues to spread, but much slower than the rest of the growth lines. It has caused her no additional harm, And please don't epoxy or seal it. Let it be alone.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
I have an adopted female with similar shell growth, I think the growth line got slightly burned at some point. To close of a heat source. The gap between the scutes continues to spread, but much slower than the rest of the growth lines. It has caused her no additional harm, And please don't epoxy or seal it. Let it be alone.
Thank you, I wouldn't use epoxy but my vet had to reconstruct the side of a sullies carapace and plastrom. I would definitely get her advice and let her perform anything like that. Next time I am at the vet's. I will get pics of their sullies damage.

Jannra

Canadian Prairie
Thank you, I wouldn't use epoxy but my vet had to reconstruct the side of a sullies carapace and plastrom. I would definitely get her advice and let her perform anything like that. Next time I am at the vet's. I will get pics of their sullies damage.
Absolutly get vet advice. Epoxy was used by a vet for reconstrution with a Western Painted we had in a pond. The might not need anywhere near as intense a seal for a tortoise since they are not swimming all day.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Well Rose and I looked under the shed. We couldn't find a nail or screws. We have the whole backside of the shed blocked. The nail might have been farther in but we have it filled and couldn't see it. I surveyed the yard and cant see any problem spots. I will just have to keep a eye on him.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
That would be just like the paint they used to put on baby turtles and keep that area from growing naturally.