Hole in Jaw

Miscally

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
You went above and beyond what many of us would be able to do. No way you are a failure. In fact, we know that tortoises are smart and at some level, I know he felt cared for. His baths no doubt comforted him. Remember in the wild, the survival rate for hatchlings is very low.... this just wasn’t to be for him. I’m so sorry.
I am so sorry that all you did for him didn't have the result we all hoped for. Take comfort in the fact that you did all you could. My thoughts are with you.

daniellenc

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
Oh no how heartbreaking. You’ll try again and understand this was not your fault. You did more than most would do and couldn’t have avoided this.

Via Infinito

Viet Nam
My condolences :( You did everything you could!
Hey if you try again I suggest you do the following:
1. Clean that enclosure spotlessly so there will be no possible viruses and bacteria that can infect your next one.
2. Demand a guaranteed one-month switch to another tortoise, I did that even it was kinda rude to the petstore. Because what you want to ensure is that there's growth in that 4 weeks you care for the tortoise. Their underlying problems take a long time to surface, so it is reasonable to demand this if you want a life long pet.
3. Get one that is bigger than 80 grams if you can. I found that the 50-60 gram range is really risky range due to the fact that you don't know how the pet store handled the babies prior. Some will make it and some won't. The chance is greatly reduced if the baby is more than 80 grams, because that is a validation that the tortoise is growing. ( don't have Hatchling failure syndrome)

I got Titan when he's already 423g. So that I can avoid the whole baby stress I did with my first one.

Honestly I feel like pet stores shouldn't even be selling these babies at 50-60g, it's the literally equivalent of selling baby infants to strangers.

J_Alba1980

Oregon
My condolences :( You did everything you could!
Hey if you try again I suggest you do the following:
1. Clean that enclosure spotlessly so there will be no possible viruses and bacteria that can infect your next one.
2. Demand a guaranteed one-month switch to another tortoise, I did that even it was kinda rude to the petstore. Because what you want to ensure is that there's growth in that 4 weeks you care for the tortoise. Their underlying problems take a long time to surface, so it is reasonable to demand this if you want a life long pet.
3. Get one that is bigger than 80 grams if you can. I found that the 50-60 gram range is really risky range due to the fact that you don't know how the pet store handled the babies prior. Some will make it and some won't. The chance is greatly reduced if the baby is more than 80 grams, because that is a validation that the tortoise is growing. ( don't have Hatchling failure syndrome)

I got Titan when he's already 423g. So that I can avoid the whole baby stress I did with my first one.

Honestly I feel like pet stores shouldn't even be selling these babies at 50-60g, it's the literally equivalent of selling baby infants to strangers.

These are fantastic tips for my next venture. When I try again, the new one will get a completely new enclosure, just to be on the safe side. Also, Walter actually lost weight in the first few weeks I had him, despite a monstrous appetite :( These are all things I need to consider for round 2, thank you for sharing :)