hollyhock ok for tortoise treat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
.....just wanting to know if ok for treat? I know they are not shown to be poisonous but just making sure.....how bout the leaves too?
Thank you...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Hollyhock actually sounds bad, but it is fine to eat both leaves and flowers. I grow it.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
AWESOME! !!!! Now I will go finish my guys "salad" topped with a big ole pink hollyhock....may take a sample of the leaf and see what they say :D. Thanks again![/quote]

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is a flower ( different colors) that grow in a single stalk and grows very tall. above 6 feet most times

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
dmmj said:
It is a flower ( different colors) that grow in a single stalk and grows very tall. above 6 feet most times

Thanks for the info, think I will google it..

Missy

5 Year Member
Illinois
I love Hollyhock but the beetles eat it so it does not look good unless I spray it all the time.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Well, this would have been the first time since I am the host for my Desert Tortoise to have offered them the Hollyhock flower....hmmm? The old man (Humphry) was mad because I disturbed his nap, then blew the dirt around on the ground sniffing it, so I picked it up and held it for him, he nibbled then chow city. Ghamara and Herman were a little hesitant, until they took a tiny bite, then chow city. Haus he blew the dirt around on the ground, turned his back and stomped to his burrow!

So, I think this will be a treat for all but Haus LOL, his is my most finicky eater...nothing that did not come from the dirt/ somewhat quickly...he loves to graze.
:tort: .....

M

Maggie Cummings

My Hollyhocks are not blooming yet and I thought tortoises shouldn't eat them, so I am looking forward to seeing how Bob likes them ifen they ever bloom. We had a late wet spring and today was the first good day of sun. We did have some sun last week, but it rained all during it...

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hi Maggie, I too was not certain, I had researched and found that they are not listed as toxic, they actually had been used way back for medicinal purposes...so that was why I thought I would post that question in hopes someone would have first hand experience with tortoise... :)

The Hollyhocks that came up are not any that I planted....this year they have come up all around the front porch...which is where all of my goodies came up this year....with the rain/flooding that happened here at the beginning of the year I think that things were just kinda distributed via the flood waters...about 4 years ago my Mother and Son planted one Hollyhock, after two years it died off...nothing last year then this year, all over the front...AWESOME! I did research of them and find that they like bloom every two years after they seed...

S

stells

Hollyhocks are great... all parts can be eaten... and it can be part of their regular diet... when they are available... doesn't have to be an occassional treat...

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Good to hear... I was looking for flower varieties and I can find Hollyhock easily. Infact, we have may seeds I will plant next year.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Thanks Kelly...good to know "all" is good. I love anything new for them :)

and yes Missy, the weeval does eat em up into a nice lace appearance, I live with it, as I don't spray anything on my property anywhere....when we have heavy rains the water moves and floods over everywhere and can transfer the chemicals if I were to spray, besides what girl doesn't like a little lace from time to time...LOL :p

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Is this the same hollyhocks? My son had them growing along the fence, but I never knew the torts could eat them.
085.jpg

087-1.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Looks like you have pretty double hollyhocks, Terry! So yes the same. My own tortoises don't as a rule like the hollyhocks. :(

S

stells

Yep they are fine Terry... i have the doubles too... mine all love the flowers and leaves...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
stells said:
Yep they are fine Terry... i have the doubles too... mine all love the flowers and leaves...
Well Kelly, I was in my son's yard and was pulling off a flower for Pio and my son came running out like a lunatic..."what are you doing? I'm pulling off a flower for Pio......are you crazy...I waited all year to get those flowers." That was the end of that!!! She will just have to eat her Rose of Sharon flowers.

Status
Not open for further replies.