Hollywood and torts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadk

10 Year Member!
We watch TV on Netflix (streaming or DVD) and i've noticed a few shows recently that had torts as key 'characters' in a few episodes.

In the Sarah Connor Chronicles, they had lots of small sullies. What is funny is that they were supposed to be in Mexico...

Then in Heroes, there is a tort that I think is a Desert Tort. It is found in Africa though.... Then he is able to take it in a cage on a plane from Africa to the US... LOL. Later it shows it living a large glass cage, maybe 3x4. Way to small for the tort.

Oh, and they had a redtail boa out in an african dessert as well :)

I really don't mind, as it is just just silly TV shows. But just wondering if others get distracted at all with that kind of stuff... I have to bite my lip or my wife will get annoyed that I have to correct the show on these types of things...

Oh, and since I'm on the subject, Beared Dragons have been in the movies as well. Nim's Island for one. Holes is another. In holes, they are mostly CGI and made to be venomous and have frilled beards... But they are really about the most docile 'bigger' lizard out there...

goodsmeagol

5 Year Member
chadk said:
We watch TV on Netflix (streaming or DVD) and i've noticed a few shows recently that had torts as key 'characters' in a few episodes.

In the Sarah Connor Chronicles, they had lots of small sullies. What is funny is that they were supposed to be in Mexico...

Then in Heroes, there is a tort that I think is a Desert Tort. It is found in Africa though.... Then he is able to take it in a cage on a plane from Africa to the US... LOL. Later it shows it living a large glass cage, maybe 3x4. Way to small for the tort.

Oh, and they had a redtail boa out in an african dessert as well :)

I really don't mind, as it is just just silly TV shows. But just wondering if others get distracted at all with that kind of stuff... I have to bite my lip or my wife will get annoyed that I have to correct the show on these types of things...

Oh, and since I'm on the subject, Beared Dragons have been in the movies as well. Nim's Island for one. Holes is another. In holes, they are mostly CGI and made to be venomous and have frilled beards... But they are really about the most docile 'bigger' lizard out there...

Watching a documentary on venomous snakes...
Cut scenes and image shots of non venomous snakes managed to make it in.
Makes me raise an eye brow, they will make people think ball pythons are dangerous!
Re: improper care of animals in captivity in hollywood, I do not like to see. I think they should be going way out to house it properly, most of these animals have proper handlers no...? Spreads misinformation to the young generation who are easily succumbed to impulse buys.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Chad--there is an Argentine B&W tegu in one of the last scenes of quantum of solace (one of the new bond movies)--I think the placement was right though, I'm not sure which country there were supposed to be in. It was pictured in the middle of a dessert though, with red sand, and tegus are tropical.

Some new Disney show pictured a kid coming out of like, a department store with a 40lb sulcata wedged in a 30gal glass tank inside of a shopping cart. That irritated me.

t_mclellan

10 Year Member!
Gilchrist Co., Florida
You might as well through in most of those shows that say there finding the animals in the wild. They regularly use the wrong subspecies for the location.
On other occasions the lizard, snake or tortoise is obviously a captive judging from ether temperament, Or the shell or claw growth.

Who ever is in charge of continuity on those shows needs to find a new job.

Yeah, They bug me too!

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
if anyone has ever seen the MTV show, Rob and Big, they had a turtle race with red eared sliders. those were mine and filmed at my friends house in Los Angeles.

Roachman on here is an animal trainer and works in the TV/movie biz and knows all about this stuff.

sammi

10 Year Member!
San Diego, CA
spikethebest said:
if anyone has ever seen the MTV show, Rob and Big, they had a turtle race with red eared sliders. those were mine and filmed at my friends house in Los Angeles.

I remember that episode! Hilarious :) Then they released their little buddy back to the wild :(

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't mind it really, I only mind it when i see a desert tortoise in africa and such.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was curious if Roachman's sulcatas have ever been in a movie or tv show.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
We were at a family reunion in the Poconos, PA and they had turtle races. They were water turtles with paint on their backs. Then they rounded them up after and put them in a container. I wanted to grab them (I did not participate in the race.) and free them in the lake we were next to. I felt bad for them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The "Heroes" thing is a sore subject. Suffice to say, it should have been one of mine, not a CDT! My company did the whole first season and then an exec. decided his buddies company should be doing it instead. I know the people who do it now. We work with them all the time.

Mine have been on a few things, but nothing really big. Remember "Daddy Day Care" with Eddie Murphy? How about "Invasion" the tv show?

They are definitely for hire!

Most of the time they won't listen to us. I frequently ask them if they want reality or should I just "keep my mouth shut and go with what's in the script". Usually they just want whatever is cheaper or easier. Seriously, they'll butcher a shot over fifty bucks one way or the other. Most of the time they aren't interested in reality.

We have a kookaburra at the ranch. I guarantee you've heard this bird in movies set all over the world. They only come from Australia.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
spikethebest said:

haha that's awesome!

galvinkaos

5 Year Member
Temple City, Ca
It is funny how things are miss id'd when they aren't well known. I was watching a HGTV renovation show and the house had drywood termites. They showed a picture of dampwood termites (Courtesy of Terminix) and id'd them as drywoods. Most people would never know the difference but it annoyed me. The inspector in me came out.

Dawna

Madortoise

5 Year Member
LOL! What do you expect from Hollywood? They even get the ethnicity of people mixed up (or miscast on purpose) how do you expect to keep the species and geographic data of turtles or tortoises right? They take the artistic license to make things seem more fantastic...not meant to be educational at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.